• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Introduction "Hi"

Hi,

My name is Jason and found this forum very interesting so decided to join.
This is my story so far.
After a trip to the emergency department in an ambulance due to extreme cramps I was diagnosed with Crohns in June 2010. I had obviously had Crohns for quite some time as my cramps were due to a stricture (in my small intestine) caused by scar tissue created by the Crohns. When I look back to pre diagnosis I was always tired, lethargic and had mild cramps for a long time on and off.

After a colonoscopy my doctor informed me my Crohns was actually very severe, so then started the purinethol and steroids. On top of the Crohns I am also a type 2 diabetic so the steroids made my sugar levels go through the roof, then started the insulin injections as well.

The above was a huge wake up call for me and I started going to the gym
every day and very quickly learned which foods were best for me (vege soup).
In a very short space of time I lost 40kg (was 140kg's), due to the gym, eating well and Crohns. Even though I was on the purinethol, steroids and had a stricture I was feeling the fittest I had in a long time (over 12 years). I started two day enduros on my dirt bike, breezing through spin class and boxing sessions at the gym. Then it all came crashing down around me.

One afternoon in December 2010 on the way home from work the cramps started again, I was lucky to make it home and collapsed on the floor in pain. So then I was on my way to hospital in an ambulance again. After another colonoscopy my doctor informed me that the Crohns had advanced and surgery was inevitable. To cut a long story short I ended up having 28cm of bowel removed (right hemi collectomy) 2 weeks ago 1 week before my 40th birthday. 1 week out of the op and all was well when I started passing massive amounts of blood in my bowel motions. So back to the hospital to fix that.

I am still trying to come to grips with what has happened and am always asking why me !!! My wife has been a massive support for me through out the whole ordeal and is always there for me when I emotionally break down. I feel I am putting her and my family through huge amounts of stress that they don't deserve. I just hope that this operation isn't all in vain and I know I could be a lot worse off than I am.

I hope I haven't just depressed any one that has read this, and I am sorry if I have, but it feels good to talk about this with others in the same boat.

Regards,

Jase.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Jase and :welcome:

I'm glad you found your way here 'cause this is a great place for support, info and good laugh.

You have had a lot to deal with in the last few months so don't be hard on yourself, you didn't choose to have CD so I'm sure your wife doesn't feel that you are causing undeserved stress. Sure it's a lot for loved ones to deal with as well but most wouldn't have it any other way. There is a lot of raw emotion in the early days but it does settle and it does get better.

My daughter has had a right hemicolectomy (68cms removed) and she is fast approaching 5 years of remission so there's a good chance that yours won't be in vain!

Are you on any medication?

I hope you stick around 'cause we would love to have you here, plus we can always do with another Aussie! Good luck and welcome aboard.

Take care, :)
Dusty

Ian

Hi Jase!

So sorry to hear about the problems you've had, especially after you were doing so well and looking after yourself. Just goes to show we can't always be in control of this stupid disease!

Was the bleeding you experienced due to a problem with the surgery or was it inflammation that was the cause? Are you out of the hospital yet? If not I hope they manage to sort everything out and that you're on the mend soon! If Dusty hadn't popped up here already I was going to push you in her direction since I was just quizzing her on her daughter's surgery the other day - it's a great success story and hopefully you'll have a similar one :)

Hope you enjoy the forum!

Hey Jase

You've certainly been through the mill! What a dreadful way to celebrate your 40th birthday! I've got mine coming up in a few weeks too, eeekkk!

Sounds like you've got a fabulous wife and family, let them help you and don't stress about them stressing, it will only make your condition worse. They do it because they love you :)

Fellow biker too ehh? Although I'm a sports bike kinda girl :) You'll be back tear arsing over dirt tracks before you know it! :)

Keep us informed on how you're getting on.

Take it easy and get well soon :)

Paula
x

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Welcome, Jase! I am so sorry you've had such a difficult time as of late! But I hope your recent operation gives you years and years of remission! Here's to a speedy recovery!!

Hi and welcome Jase!

Crohn's sucks! Now that's out of the way, it's great that you have your wife and your family to lean on during this challenging time. You shouldn't feel like you are a burden to anybody(easier said then done, I know)! Stick around the forum! There is a lot of info and there are a lot of friendly people here waiting to give support in any way possible.

Hopefully, you will heal healthily and happily! :)

Hi Jase,
I sure know what it's like to have alot of surgery - 3 operations in a 2 year span. But, I'm feeling great now so my 3rd one was the charm. I hope this last one did the trick for you!

Welcome Jase!
Don’t ever worry about complaining too much here! We all need to vent now and then, and it sounds like you have been through a lot.
You will get lots of good advice and support here. :)

ameslouise

Hi Jase -

Sorry you're having such a rough go right now, but wow! Good for you that you were able to lose the weight and get into such good shape. That probably helped you out going into surgery - always better to be as healthy as you can be when you are sick!

I hope they figure out where the blood is coming from and get you fixed up right quick.

Keep us posted on your progess. Oh, and it's going to take ALOT more than that to depress any of US!! :)

- Amy

Hi Jase,
You sound like you've been through the mill. I know it is difficult to deal when you're feeling so sick and you didn't do anything to cause it. Whenever I feel like this, I try to focus on the positives of Crohns. Lol I know it seems like they are pretty thin on the ground. But seriously, getting sick has made me realise how strong and resilient I am, to be feeling this crap, and still being able to have a smile on my face everyday. It has also made me reevaluate what's important in my life, and learn who my real friends are. It has forced me to tackle some issues in my life (stress) which I probably would have never addressed had I not been forced to through illness. And finally, having Crohn's has meant I have learnt SO MUCH about health and wellness, be it nutrition, drugs and alternative therapies, that I can't believe I used to live life gorging on unhealthy foods and not doing Yoga!
Granted, my Crohn's experience hasn't been as bad as yours (I haven't yet had any surgery - but am still waiting for meds to work), but I hope that my advice will help you get through tough times.

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Jason! We are glad to have you on board. It sounds like you're on the right track with your diet and exercise. We look forward to getting to know you better.

Ok, first of all, I have to let you all know that I am not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to using forums e.g. replying correctly. So not sure where this reply will end up !!!!!

I am truly overwelmed at the response from my post, thank you all for your warm welcomes. All your comments have really lifted my spirits, thank you.
I am now out of hospital since the bleeding and the doctors couldn't really pin point why it was happening. They gave me some anti-biotics just incase an infection became present and the bleeding has since stopped (so here's hoping thats the last of that). I am not yet back on any medication but expect my doctor will put a stop to that once I see her in a week or so.

Again thank you for your warm welcomes.

Jase.