• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My sister has Crohn's...could I have it too?

My sister was diagnosed with Crohn's when she was 15. She had to miss a year off school and spent her 16th Birthday in hospital. Before they diagnosed Crohn's, they thought my sister had anorexia because she became so underweight. They did an endoscopy and took some skin for testing. They ended up putting a tube directly into her stomach so that they could feed her via a tube for several months and that mixture was the only thing she could 'eat'. I find it amazing how she went through all of that so young, and still passed her GCSEs.
However, I understand that CD is hereditary so I'm worried that there's a slight chance I could have it? But I'm already 18 and have no signs whereas she got diagnosed younger. I guess I could get it later on in life.
My sister having Crohn's really opened my eyes up to something I had never even heard of before so at least something good came from this experience.
I'd appreciate it if you could help me fundraise for this good cause as I'm doing a sky dive for Crohn's and Colitis
justgiving.com/chloesjump

THANKS. Feel free to reply/message/whatever.
:lol2:

Ian

Hi Chloe!

Many people believe that those who develop Inflammatory Bowel Disease have a genetic predisposition, but it's also widely believed that it's it a combination of that and other environmental factors; possibly stress, diet etc. A bout of food poisoning or other gastro-intestinal problems may trigger it too - no one is really sure! Even if you're genetically vulnerable, you could go your whole life without triggering it. So yes you could end up developing Crohn's but it's just as likely that you won't - just take care of yourself (balance diet and exercise) and avoid stress wherever possible. That's all you can do really. If you develop the disease it will have been unavoidable. It's just one of those things. Try not to worry yourself :)

I'm glad to hear your sister passed her GSCEs with no problems, what's she doing now? Have her doctors managed to get her Crohn's symptoms under control? Hope she's doing well. It's really good of you to take such an active interest in the disease on behalf of your sister, good luck with the fundraising! I'd love to do a sky dive one day!

Oh OK so I should be pretty alright then? Thanks :)

:yrolleyes:

Yeah I wanted to do something different to try and get as much money as possible. I know my sister wouldn't do something like this so I thought I might as well :)

Well, she's just turned 20 and had a gorgeous little girl in September. Her and her boyfriend now live together and she's going to carry on her child care course then hopefully go to Uni. Luckily after all the hassle and many trips to different hospitals she's all OK and hardly ever has flare ups.

:ghug:

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi chloski and welcome to the forum :welcome: I would not fret, yes it does run in families but I wouldn't worry about it, you have a 5% chance if one of your parents have it too, so even then that is a low risk. Enjoy your life, eat well, avoid stress and be happy. ;)

Also forgot to mention you would do yourself a great fight against it by taking sufficient amounts of Vitamin D3 alot of people who get diagnosed was low on the Vitamin D , D3 is more absorbable. It is also a disease fighter!!:wink:

Last edited:
Hey Chloe

Don't worry and especially don't stress. I have crohns but no-one in my family has it. Just sponsored you hunny. Best of luck.

Paula
x

Hi Chloski:)

Just wanted to welcome you to the CF. My sister also has Crohn's and like everyone here says, it does run in families. It's good to read that your sister is doing well, though, and that you have no symptoms!

Anyway, just wanted to say hi and welcome!

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Chloe!

Many people believe that those who develop Inflammatory Bowel Disease have a genetic predisposition, but it's also widely believed that it's it a combination of that and other environmental factors; possibly stress, diet etc. A bout of food poisoning or other gastro-intestinal problems may trigger it too - no one is really sure! Even if you're genetically vulnerable, you could go your whole life without triggering it.
Welcome! I think Ian hit the nail on the head! Just because it runs in your family, there is no guarantee you will get it. No one else in my family has it. So, just take care of yourself the best you can and don't stress over it.

You lot are actually lovely thank you so much.

Thanks for that Paula much appreciated.

Ok then that's great that I won't get it. :)

Thanks!

I wouldn’t say that you for sure won’t get it, but I wouldn’t say that to anyone! All I can tell you is that I am the only one who has it in my family, and I have three sisters and a brother!

Welcome to the forum!

ameslouise

Hi Chloski and welcome to the forum!

Just wanted to say what a nice thing it is that you are doing for your sister! The gene pool is a crap shoot so you never know what you are going to get or not going to get. The best you can do is take care of yourself, eat properly, lots of vitamin D and easy on the stress!

- Amy

Yah, from my experience, I'd agree with most people here. Just like most disorders, just because a family member has it doesn't necessarily mean you'll get it.

Just eat right, keep healthy, and those chances are reduced! best of luck :)!

If you have crohn's there is only a 1 in 20 chance that a sibling will get it to, according to the research. So its a lot more likely than the general population, but still not very likely (5% chance?)