• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I took your advice

and went down to the hospital last wednesday and they kept me in for a week. I just couldn't stand the pain anymore.
I had a stomach infection and a kidney infection, got an iron infusion, I've got crohn's in the small and large intestines, and they've been speaking of surgery and I'm terrified :(
I'm on 8 weeks gradual reduction of prednisolone and I've started on 50mg to go up to 150mg of azathioprine. can anyone tell me what to expect?
cos I'm in more pain now than I was before I went into hospital, my stomach is a lot sorer, I'm going more frequently and I'm just wondering whether this is normal starting on all this new stuff?
thanks xx

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
I am so sorry to hear you are not doing well! I hope the meds do the trick and you can avoid surgery! I don't think it is uncommon for things to be unsettled when starting new medication. However, if things persist after several days, I would certainly phone your doctor.

I agree with what Jill said on both accounts. Don't hesitate to call your doc if things get worse, but your body may just need a period of adjustment to the new meds. Weaning off meds can do that as well.

I do not have any other advice as far as the surgery because I have not yet had to go through that yet, but there are lots of people on here who have! Do you know what kind of surgery they were mentioning? A resection? Or something else?

After I left the hospital I was in a ton of pain as well, I think when you are in the hospital the pain meds help a ton. I felt better after about a month on the meds. I really hope you feel better soon :)

ameslouise

Hi Winter - Glad you went to the hospital! Sounds like you needed it!

Give it a few days for things to settle down, but if you are still feeling so horrible, def give the doc a call.

Hang in there! - Amy