• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Oh hai

oh hai

Hey guys.

I started getting sick in my early twenties but chalked it up to a) drinking, b) late night tacos, and c) not enough sleep. This kept getting progressively worse until I could barely keep anything down, and had to quit working and going to school because of the intense pain.

I started landing in the ER with obstructions. A few days in the hospital with an NG tube and I'd be sent on my merry way with no answers. In fact, by the time I finally got diagnosed I had lost 60 pounds and needed my first resection in feb. of 2008.

After being resected, I felt better for a few months, but in october '08 i perforated spontaneously and needed another emergency resection. Good times, let me tell you. Worst night of my life.

Following that I gained a ton of weight on pred, and did pretty alright for a while, but in the past few months they've found several feet of active disease in my small intestine, and a pretty gnarly stricture in my colon. I spent a week in the hospital (last week actually) for the first time in two years. pneumonia, lytes all screwed up from flaring, and gallstones.

My GI was pushing for a chole on me, my gallbladder failed a HIDA scan in the most spectacular way possible, but the surgeon didn't want to touch me due to my high risk history and active monster guts.

I have a consult in two weeks at the university of chicago ibd clinic to finally get on biologicals. I'm not too excited at the idea of them, but I would really like my life back. I'm pretty sick of feeling like an old lady at thirty.

so yea, hi.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome! Boy, you've been through a lot! And I am so sorry to hear that you haven't had much relief. Though they can be scary, I think a biological is the route you need to take. They have done miracles for so many on here! Check out the Treatment forum - loads of good info there. Please let us know how your appointment in Chicago goes.

Hi Idle hands,
Welcome to the forum. I also had a perforation, so I know how that hurts. Wow -I'll never forget that! Good luck at your upcoming appt.

ameslouise

HI Idle and welcome!

Sorry to hear you are having such a rough time with your guts!! What are they planning to do about your gallstones? Are you just to control it with diet?

Humira works really well for a lot people on here - I hope it does the trick for you!

- Amy

rygon

Hi ya, welcome to the forum. Sounds pretty shitty what youve been through. Hope they start trying to get you fixed soon