• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Omega 3 in food

C

carolinajak

Let us list all the foods that contain a healthy ratio of Omega 3's. I'll start off with just a couple.

Salmon
Kiwi
Walnuts

Omega 3

Oils (flaxseed, canola, soybean)
Fatty fish (salmon, herring, tuna, mackerel, sardines, bluefish)

C

carolinajak

Mike, your profile pic made me think, wouldn't be nice if they made a beer with Omega 3's in it, maybe even one of the gluten free beers that are starting to show up? lol Maybe slightly counter intuitive for some, but it might work. I'll get to work on the patent.

Omega 3 beer

That is an awesome idea. I just don't know if the alcohol in the beer would somehow affect the omega 3. I was in the health section at the grocery store last week and saw some organic beer. It was $8.00(US) for a six-pack. That's definitely out of my range.

R

robert.k

Very few foods contain high levels of omega 3s. You're basically stuck with certain nuts, all varieties of fatty fish, flax seed/meal/oil, and omega-3 enriched foods (certain margarines, eggs, cereals, etc).

C

carolinajak

any chemistry folks know about omega 3 and alcohol combinations?

a six pack for $8 is expensive? i would love to hang out in kansas if thats the case. an expensive 6 pack here in philly (moving back to NC tomorrow) is around $20, given thats for really good beer, lots of breweries around these parts.

im sure there are some other omega 3 options out there, anybody?

R

robert.k

I'm not sure if I understand your questions, but unless a beer is 'fortified' with omega-3 fats, somehow, omega-3 fats are not going to be naturally occuring in beer.

Hope that makes sense. To reiterate, beer is not a source of omega-3s unless the beer manufacturer goes out of it way to add the omega-3s post production. And to me, that would make no sense, it would be an unpleasant flavor combination.

M

Moonlightmile21

I get my Omega-3 fix from smoked kipper snacks I get at Whole Foods. They are around a buck seventy and have 1.5g omega 3's per can. I throw a little Wheat-free soy in there and it doesn't make a bad snack... I try and eat a can about every day.

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Some foods are now being fortified with Omega 3 fatty acids due to their more recent popularity. I have seen this for foods ranging from breads, to organge juice and yoghurt. The problem here is that you pay a premium for this added value and from what I have seen, that premium may not be worth it for what you get out of it. The amount of Omega 3 fat that was in these items that were fortified ranged from 0.1-0.3 grams of fat of Omega 3 (this was for the fortified orange juice and yoghurt. Both were sold due to them having the Omega 3 in them, but that amount seems so tiny, especially when 30 grams is given by some as the amount of fat one should eat each day.

One of the easiest ways I think to get the fat is to use a high omega 3 oil as a salad dressing. This allows you to get some more added nutrition from a healthy salad.