• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

A happy hi to all!

Hi :biggrin:

I'm 51 and have been married 30 years.

I was diagnosed with Crohn's in December of 2009. Over the past year, through a lot of hard work, I've lost 88 pounds-I have 17 to go now. I've gone from eating a diet of just pure junk to a very clean diet, changed from sedentary to the life of a trail runner/walker/yogi/hiker.

But as my life has expanded into a lot of activity and a lot of doing things with other people, the Chrohn's has really become a problem. It's hard to run with people when I want to run for the bathroom. That's why running in the desert where I live in New Mexico, is so great-all those lovely bushes to duck behind!

The cleaner my diet has become, the more it seems to hurt my body when I eat things that don't settle well. Recently I've finally realized I'm going to have to deal carefully with my diet and am working with the "Specific Carbohydrate Diet".

I've been off of sugar and junk foods/processed foods for about a year now, but the gluten/dairy is something I'm just now discovering that I need to address. It's all a learning process.

I'm a retired massage therapist. I travel a great deal with my husband who works for Boeing in the Seattle area, where we come from. (Left the constant rain for the constant sun!)

I'm a writer, an artist, a runner, a big-time walker and am starting the process to become a yoga instructor-which will be a long road to travel. A long but peaceful and relaxing road. Yoga is such a great de-stresser.

I blog at two different sites, (listed in my profile) and take a zillion photos. We live in Albuquerque with our 2 grown kids who will soon move on to places unknown. We've recently bought 5 acres in Deming to build our retirement home on in a few years.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Welcome, Katie! It's wonderful that your Crohn's hasn't held you back much with the help of diet. I admire you - it takes real commitment to stick with such a specific diet. But I guess it sure is worth it if it is doing the trick! And I hope it continues to do so for many, many years!

Be sure to take a look around the forum, especially the Diet and Fitness thread - you'll be a great asset!

Hi Katie! Just wanted to stop in and welcome you to the forum :)

I agree with Jilly. Sounds like you will be a great addition to the Diet and Fitness section of the forum. It's nice to have someone with a positive response to being diagnosed as well. Good to see people thriving despite having such an annoying disease!

Hi Katie,
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you're doing well and have things under control - great! I tried the SCD a few years ago. I dislike yoghurt so I was missing one of the most important foods on the diet. And I made enough almond flour cookies to last a lifetime.

Good luck with the yoga - that sounds like a nice plan. I've been running since my surgery and love it. I carry my "bathroom" around with me now so it's very convenient.

Hi welcome :)

I am glad you found the forum! It does sound like you enjoy life to the fullest :) I hope all continues on this great path for you, and I am sure you will be very helpful with great information throughout the forum!