• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Cipro side effects?

Has anyone taken cipro? If so, what side effects do you have? Anyone have severe muscle pain in legs? Does this drug cause an even more upset stomach?

Hi,

Yes, I've used Cipro many times. No muscle pain, but yes to the upset stomach. Rarely, Cipro can allow C Diff to become dominant in the gut and cause problems.

Mark

Crohn's Mom

my daughter has been on Cipro since November and that is one med that we have not had any problem side affects from :) (Flagyl, however...well.....)

One thing to be aware of is that Cipro has been known to cause rupturing of tendons and ligaments. If you feel like this may be the kind of pain you are experiencing, you may want to talk to your doc.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I have been on and off cipro for 7 years or more, lost count. NO stomach issues but archilles heel area can become very sore, and can cause thinning in the skin. I just go off it for a spell and go on flagyl small doses because Flagyl can cause a buzzing feeling in the nerves.

Are you only on Flagyl? Btw not a good idea to be in the sun with this drug.

ameslouise

Yes, be careful of tendonitis with both Cipro AND Levaquin! I had achilles tenderness with Levaquin two years ago and still suffer with soreness in that area.

-Amy

cipro

i,ve been on cipro 500 for 3 1/3 near 4 years.
it has been doing the job , but lately i feel 30 yrs older than my age and my joints are all very sore and stiff. i injured a tendon on my foot and it has not gotten better in 5 months. now my lower bowels are acting up and i,m getting pain and big constipation , serious pain causing vomiting.
my doctors don't do anything so that is why i,m here.
now i really believe cipro is the cause of these aliments and will be replacing cipro with something else hopefully.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

That's a long time to be on antibiotics without a break. Let's hope you can work with your Doctor and find something that else that does the job.

Regards,

Mark

I just got prescribed cipro and flagyl from my doc because I started running fevers due to the abcesses..day 2 and medicinal taste in my mouth, kinda off my game at work (don't know why I'm there right now) but I see a slow result for the better. I do have upset stomach, but probably not drinking enough water.

Bill,

I think that you are right, drinking plenty certainly seems to help flush out the nasties. Taking Flagyl my self right now and find using mouth was and the occasional brushing of the fur of the tongue keeps the mouth happier.

Mark