• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Still wondering if I have crohn's

I have been having symptoms of diarrhea for at least a week at a time, really bad cramping, intolerance to most foods, constant pain and it also goes into constipation sometimes. This has been going on for three years. It all started from milk, then spicy foods, then acidic and citrus foods. All giving me diarrhea at least 3 times a week. I also have burning feeling in my large intestine in the lower part of my torso and also the same pain in my back that keeps me up at night. I am going to the gastro doctor tomorrow and they will be setting me up with a barium enema xray to look at the lower part of my large intestine. This has been interfering with my life and job and school and I just want answers.

I also forgot to say I get fevers when having diarrhea, I'm also tired a lot of the time and wake up in the night because of my stomach pains and I get mouth sores a lot. I don't think I have ulcers inside my stomach and intestinal tract but I might...

Hi Meggielynn13! Welcome to the forum :)

I would say the symptoms you describe do sound like what many of us on here deal with. I hope your x-ray goes well--the enema was not my favorite, that's for sure. But it gave some really important images that helped diagnose me and get me on the proper medications.

Keep us posted on how it goes. :)

This sounds exactly how my life went before i was diagnosed, even the time period before I seen a Gastro doctor. Now you have to stay on top of the doctors and dont let what ever is causing this to get u down!

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Welcome, Meggie Lynn! Your symptoms do sound like Crohn's, but don't jump the gun until after your testing. However, if it is Crohn's, hopefully you can start treatment and start feeling better quickly.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes!

I went today and was diagnosed as lactose intolerant but he also thinks I have IBS. With IBS you don't have fevers, continual cramping etc. good thing I am getting a flexible sigmoidoscopy and an EGD. Hopefully these tests will prove that I know my body better than any doctor could. Hopefully I know more thursday.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hmmm. Yeah, I am not sure if fevers go along with IBS, but I could be wrong. Is your flex sig on Thursday? Please let us know how it goes!!

Hi Meggie,
Good luck on Thursday. No one wants Crohn's but at least with an accurate diagnosis, you'll know what's going on and can start the right treatment.

I know. Crohns sounds really awful but if its the diagnosis I get I'll be glad that I'll finally have an answer. And yeah they are sedating me for both and doing them on the same day. I'm glad I got in when I did because the next opening was two weeks from now. They also put me on a lactose free diet and a low residue diet. Having a list of foods that I can eat is a step in the right direction at this point. Thanks everyone for answering my questions and wishing me well. I really appreciate it.

I had my tests today. They determined that I have a hiatus hernia, gastritis, diverticulosis. They also think I am developing colitis because of the amount of inflammation in my colon. I will know more once they get back the biopsys back. They also did a few tests to see if I had celiacs and chrons and uc.... Hopefully I will know better when I go back for my follow up in a month.

oh, is that all? Just kidding of course, that sounds like alot to take in. How did they diagnose the gastritis? Did they look in your stomach? Or just from your symptoms?

Did they start you on any meds? Or wait until the biopsies come back?

I know. I went in thinking I might have either ibs or ibd and come out with 3 or more issues. I think they diagnosed it based on their findings in my stomach and then compared it to my symptoms. I'm not on any meds yet other than omeprazole for GERD. Hopefully my biopsies come back with more answers. Hearing all of this when I was expecting one diagnosis is kind of taking a toll on me. Hopefully all will be well in the next couple weeks and I'll be able to treat what is going on with me.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Oh, Meggie Lynn, that certainly is a lot to handle. But take it one step at a time. Wait to hear what your biopsies show and let your docs gather all of the facts before fretting too much. But, regardless, it sounds like you'll soon know for sure what is going on and will be able to start appropriate treatment. How soon can you expect results?

I'm not sure if they will be calling me or if I will have to wait until the end of April when I have my follow up. I'm not sure if I can wait a month but I'll do what I have to do. Things could be worse I guess. I could have gone in there and come out feeling the same with no answer to what's going on.

ameslouise

Hi MeggieLynn - Yes, that's a lot to deal with but at least you have a name(s) for it and can start to deal with each one and hopefully get some relief. Good for you for being persistent and getting the tests you knew you needed!

Keep us posted on your progress! - amy

I just got a call from my dr and the pathology report said everything was normal. How can I be diagnosed with colitis, diverticulosis, and gastritis and feel worse that I ever had and there be nothing wrong with me? Having inflamation, severe cramping and diarrhea all the time isn't normal. I have changed my eating habits and it seems like its getting worse. I'm not sure what to do. I still have a follow up appt but its not for another month.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
I am so sorry Meggielynn. I know you wanted some answers. Unfortunately, it can take some people a very long time to get them.

If you feel like you are getting worse, phone your doctor's office to see if they can get you in sooner. Good luck!

Sorry you haven't gotten any definite answers yet. Doctors are like kids, you have to stay on top of them at all times.. I had to get 2nd, 3rd and 4th opinions before a doctor would diagnose me with crohn's.

Yeah. When I called them yesterday they had my results for god knows how long. When I go back I'm gonna have them run blood tests and other tests cause inflammation in my stomach, sm intestine and colon aren't normal. Ibs is what they said is probably what's causing my problems but when you barely eat anything but eggs,toast,chicken,pasta and rice and still have symptoms; ibs is their way of telling me that they are clueless. I think I'm gonna have them run a celiac panel on me too cause the symptoms I have are similar to what i have.

Hey Meggielynn, I also have gastritis, a hiatus hernia and GERD...and still waiting for answers re abnormal MRI's/Crohn's ...I understand your frustration as it is going on 3 years now (I had to wait a year just to get in to see the GI). I think if you had an endoscopy done, they probably already did a celiac test. They probably tested for H. pylori as well. My understanding is the most reliable test for these is the biopsy. Are they doing a repeat endoscopy on you to keep an eye on your gastritis and hernia? I agree with what everyone said about 2nd and 3rd opinions. It is YOUR health so it is easy for them to move on to the next... it is also for me to give that advice as I am in the same boat ...haha... in all seriousness... I completely understand your frustration... what I found works for me is if you have an advocate with you...or even just someone to go with you to the appointment I find that helps. It is like they have someone else to be accountable to and they seem to take things more seriously.
Good luck and keep us posted !
Wendy

I went to the doctor today and all of my tests including the biopsy they did to check for celiac came back negative. I totally expected the negative result. They didn't want to do the celiac panel because the biopsy is more conclusive. I'm going to go gluten free though because I've taken everything out of my diet that they told me and I'm still sick. So I've come to the conclusion that it's the pasta, bread,cookies and anything else that has added gluten to it. Hopefully this will be a good change but I know it will be really hard to get used to.

Its been a while since I posted in here but I finally received some good news. I was diagnosed with a non alcoholic fatty liver and they put me on ursodiol to get rid of the inflammation that has been causing all the pain and they also told me that i will have to watch what I eat for the rest of my life because of the cholesterol build up in my liver and gallbladder. Hopefully everything will straighten it self out. Thanks everyone for helping me before, it lets me know I am not alone in trying to figure out what is wrong with me. it has been a long 4 years but I am glad that they are almost 100% positive that it is my liver that's causing the problems.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
What terrific news! Of course, it is not terrific that you have non alcoholic fatty liver, but I am happy you don't have IBD and with diet you'll be healthy. Hooray!