• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Well, here it is.

I got out of the hospital a few days ago and left with what felt like a big label on my back: "Crohns Disease". I had been having the symptoms for a few years but thought nothing of it because it always seemed to fix itself and I'd be back to normal. Then it got so so so much worse....
I had originally been admitted for severe dehydration because I was having bowel movements throughout the day almost hourly and I was also throwing up anything I tried to eat. After tests and IVs and lots and lots of drugs they told me that I was diagnosed with Crohns. I am just grateful to know what it was and that it's being taken care of so that I can at least eat again, I had gone three days without eating. Now I'm on my second day of recovery at home and planning a new diet (so long fast food :frown: ) and just trying to take it easy for the most part.
I'm not much of a writer, but there's my story. I think I'll be surfing this forum and posting mainly for diet advice, perhaps some humorous stories, etc.
So yeah.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome! It is scary being diagnosed with Crohn's; I am still coming to terms with it. However, at least you know what is going on and you can start treatment. What medication has your doctor prescribed? I sure hope it does the trick and you start feeling better soon.

I look forward to hearing from you around the forum, especially some humorous stories!

Hi Jill, and thanks. :)
I'm still reeling from the news but a week before that my fiancee of 2 years broke up with me and thankfully realigned my perception on life. So I'm going into this with a good outlook.
As far as medications go, I've been prescribed Prednisone; 40mg a day and then they are going to try and taper that off within the next few months. I'm also taking a multivitamin to counteract my immune system being brought down by the Prednisone.
For now I'm trying to drink as much fluids as I can to stay hydrated and sticking to my new diet so I can get control of this.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
I am so sorry to hear about your fiancee! Wow, you really have had it tough! I hope pred is giving you the relief you deserve! Has your doc suggested any maintenance medication? As you obviously know, you can't stay on pred for a long period of time, so you'll need something to keep the inflammation away after pred has done its job. It sucks having to take pills forever, but it is key to staying well. Diet is important, too, as well as a positive attitude, which it seems like you have!

Prednisone has definitely given me relief, I've never been so happy to eat than after the first day I had it in the hospital and they gave me my first meal. :p
I've been doing some research into what I have and it sounds like extreme stress can cause the type of major flare up I had. I am going to meet with my doctor again in a few days and we will probably discuss where to go from there.
As far as positive attitude goes, I am bound determined to not let this hinder my life at all. :)
I've been reading on here about people fasting for a day or two with only juice or water, and I'm thinking once I'm over this medicinal hump and gain some of my weight back I might try that.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Well, keep doing your homework and try to find what works for you! Ignorance is NOT bliss!

Hi Skigz,
You know you're supposed to take that label off when you get home! :) Just kidding of course. I hope you can get to remission now that you'll be on the right meds. i have a feeling that once you get past this latest bad flare, you'll go back to the way you were with some issues here and there and getting back to normal. Especially now that the meds will help keep things under control.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Jill, I'm devoting today to doing just that! :D (that and cleaning out my music library) And I agree 100%.

CDDad, I'm going to take the label and make it a badge so I can hopefully let others know about it and remind myself that it's a part of me for the rest of my life. I don't want to call it a disease though, that's the only part that still pulls at the back of my mind. I'm praying that I'll clear up quickly and without complications. :)

ameslouise

Hi Skigz and welcome.

Love your positive attitude. I hope you next meeting with the doc is a good one and you can discuss a maintenance med to keep things under control.

Crohn's does change your life, but it doesn't have to wreck it. Keep thinking positive!

- Amy

PS I really struggled with the label of "chronic disease" as well. Took me a full six months until I could really say it and admit it without choking on tears.

Thanks ameslouise! Right now I'm fairly content with the Prednisone, and I'm looking forward to the meeting in the next two days. :)
And the way I see it my positive attitude is all I really have left and it's the strongest thing going for me. So I'm going to use it as much as I can.

Welcome! I am a new to, everyone has been helpful and welcoming which is a nice change. It is good that you are keeping a postive attitude. I know when I was diagonsed I was not postive. I am currently in remission and I still am not postive! Make sure you stay that way, cause getting down on yourself won't help at all! :goodluck:

Astra

Hi Skigz
and welcome

You'll start to feel mega fab in a few days with Pred, the drug we love to hate, and hate to love!
I was on it for 11 months last year and it healed me good and proper, I'm in remission now, I think! Well, I have no symptoms.
Word of advice from an old Crohnie, forget about diets and fasting for now, concentrate on healing first, yeah? and you'll gain much needed weight with Pred.
Has your doc recommended extra calcium? Pred is a bone robber.
Good luck, see ya around!
Joan xxx