• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

GI's visit

Just had my GI appoitment today, and he says ulcerative colitis but wants to do another colonoscopy so he can check my large bowel. On previous colonoscopy they couldnt complete it because i was in so much pain and said it was too tight so i must admit i am very frightened to go for a 2nd. What i dont get though is they found inflammation in my small bowel but everywhere i read it says UC only affects large bowel or am i reading wrong?

DustyKat

Super Moderator
No, you are not wrong, Ulcerative Colitis only affects the large bowel. You can have Crohns that primarily affects the large bowel only, it is referred to as Crohns Colitis.

Dusty. :)

ameslouise

Yep, UC is large intestine/colon only! Ask your doc for a clarification.....

Good luck - they should sedate you for the colonoscopy.

-Amy

I was misdiagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis for a few months before they realized I had swelling in both my small and large intestines (and everything else in my GI tract as well) so now they're looking for the cause of that. Don't be afraid to ask questions and share your knowledge with the doctors too! And also I'm with Miss Underestimated! You should be sedated during the colonoscopy. Peaceful sleep :)

thanks guys for the help, i thought it was me totally picking it up wrong so i will ask for clarification on that point. I was sedated for the colonoscopy but the pain was so intense it brought me round instantly, they tried giving me pain relief and everything but nothing helped. The min they stopped trying to force the camera i was straight out again, another of these fills me with total dread

How did they find the inflammation in your small bowel? Surely if they managed to get to your small bowel they must have got a good look at the large bowel on the way?

sorry i read over colonoscopy slip which says lower bowel inflammation. not sure if lower and small are the same