• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pains

F

fof

Hi
I am very new to crohns, I had emegency surgery in Jan this year and was diagnosed a week later. Only now do I have the symptoms, cramping,D, having to plan my day around where the nearest toilet is etc etc. But twice since leaving hospital I have noticed the D settling down and a pain in my groin like nothing I have ever experienced before, lasting for a week or so that floors me completly. I thought that I might have pulled a muscle as my tummy is still week after surgery but the pain vanishes abruptly and the D is back with a vengeance. Is this common after surgery (Rt hemi-colectomy) or is this a symptom of crohns.
Andy

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
It is common to continue to heal for a couple months after surgery. So you may have some symptoms that last upto two months or longer. When I had surgery my bowel movements were very loose for several weeks, but eventually they turned back to normal. I also had pain in my back for a couple weeks after surgery and I had some pain due to gas for maybe a week after surgery.

As long as you keep monitoring the symptoms and perhaps recording them somewhere (frequency, if the symptoms change in strenght, etc.) then you know you can phone a doctor whenever you feel it is necessary and have all the facts already written down.