• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My toddler's Story! (Joined 04/07/2011)

Hello All,

I am a mother of a 2 1/2 y/o little girl. Our story begins last summer, when Payten began having diarrhea. After several weeks of this, she developed a UTI. We took her to the DR and it was treated. The DR said she should start getting better. In November the diarrhea continued, so back to the DR again. Over the next 2 months, we had multiple test. All that showed was a low TSH level and a high T4 level. All her stool samples we neg. for infection. We were then sent to a endrocrinologist in Dallas, where they told us her Thyroid was fine, but she needed to see a gastroenterologist. After seeing him in Dallas, he wanted to test her for Ceilic Disease. Payten had a EGD with biopsy last week. I just got the results Wednesday and they were all fine. He know has her on a strict diet, to eliminate allergy. However, we have cut out dairy, soy, and sugars. She still has the diarrhea. She has not had a formed stool since last summer. Now she will go from constipated for several days to a week, then here comes the diarrhea. She is only well for a couple weeks at a time, then the diarrhea, fatigue, stomach cramps, and sometimes multiple resp. infections. The DR said if she is not better by the 21st of April this Month, he is going to do a colonoscpoy. I love our DR, and he is great. He said that the chances if it being Crohn's is small, because it is rare in children at this age. I am LOST.. What if everything keeps coming back normal.. I know that something is wrong. I am a nurse, and I know that her symptoms are not normal. Her bowel movements along with her gas, smells like skunks... It is awful. She will be 3 in August, and we can not even get her potty trained due to the bowel problems. Alot of the time she is a normal, load, and energetic 2 y/o, but then periods of sickness, each lasting around 2 weeks at a time. Again, she is always sick part of the month, then great the other. We have changed diets, and went through rounds of ABX treatments, and nothing has helped. She also has perodic pasty stools with pus. Also, she has been given medication twice for Herpes Simplex A (Ulcers in the mouth).. It's just never normal. Need help, support, and adivce.. Thanks a bunch, Stormy
:confused2:

Last edited:
Continue

Also, she weighed 32 in November, then dropped to 26 in December and now is staying around 29 lbs. She looks healthy..

ameslouise

Hi Stormy and welcome. Your little girl is adorable!

You should pop over to the thread for parents of kids with ibd sub section. You will find tons of knowledgeable folks over there to give you some advice and guidance.

Good luck with the scope if you end up needing it for her. I hope you get some answers soon and she gets some relief soon.

- Amy

Wow I was diagnosed a month ago and sadly have been feeling bad 4 myself because I am missing out on so much of my childrens lives. My son is 3 and I cant imagine what you are going through. We had complications with him and had to fight tooth and nail, I also knew somthing was not right, turns out we were right and he got the surgery he needed. Keep fighting and trusting your instincts. I am so sorry you and your family are going through this. I hope somthing comes back and it is small and cureable. All my prayers to you and your family.

Thank you for your kind words... I have found comfort in this forum... I will also pray for you and your family...