• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Other non-IBD related illnesses

What other non-IBD related illnesses do you have?

• Diabetes

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Anemia

Votes: 13 25.0%
  • Arthritis

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • Kidney stones

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Other

Votes: 21 40.4%
  • None of the above

Votes: 17 32.7%

• Total voters

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I get migraines too but I suspect they're somehow related to my gut illness since they both started right around the same time. I had exactly one migraine in my life up until age 30 - then my guts went haywire and I started getting relatively frequent migraines. Now that I'm on Entocort and things are fairly well controlled, I haven't had a migraine in months! So I think they've got to be related.

I also have arthritis and acid reflux. Also not sure if either of those are related to my guts or not. I'm still undiagnosed so there are so many unknowns!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I have kidney stones, but it is said to be IBD related and arthritis. I dont get migraines, thank God almost every woman I know gets them! They say sex helps :lol:

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Pen, I am glad I don't have kidney stones, but my husband has them. I'd rather have migraines than kidney stones - my migraines fortunately don't last very long, an hour or two. The auras are the worst part, they freak me out! Hubby was in such pain the other night from his kidney stone that vicodin wasn't even touching his pain. Yep, I'd rather have migraines than that! ;)

That's crazy. I was diagnosed with migraines and Crohn's within a few months of each other. I had never had migraines in my life and suddenly I was getting debilitating ones three times a week! I thought I was going to have to go on Welfare or kill myself. I think actually that was when I was on Entocort and they went crazy! But also because I was on Nuvaring at the same time. That was the lowest period of my life (I was newly married and my partner was out of work).

But if they're related I may be in more trouble than I thought. We've been assuming my Crohn's has been under control up until now, but my migraines have definitely not been! Although they are 10,000 times better off of the birth control.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Pen, I am glad I don't have kidney stones, but my husband has them. I'd rather have migraines than kidney stones - my migraines fortunately don't last very long, an hour or two. The auras are the worst part, they freak me out! Hubby was in such pain the other night from his kidney stone that vicodin wasn't even touching his pain. Yep, I'd rather have migraines than that! ;)
I have had 5 or 6, 4 being all at once but had them done with lithotripsy , except I had a fragment still on the left. 2 years later I pass it, that was last month, I found it whilst peeing and took it to be analysed. It was a Calcium oxilate kind. I know that men have a much harder time than women...they have a longer passage. Can't fathom that. But in comparison, I'd rather pass a kidney stone than a bowel obstruction...for me there is NO greater pain. Hope your hubby passes it. He needs to drink tons of water!!:wink:

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Diesanduhr: Yeah, now that you mention it my headaches went crazy when I started Entocort too. My GI put me on Amitriptyline to control the headaches and since then, I've only had the occasional headache and no migraines.

Pen: Hubby's supposed to have a procedure next month where they go up the urethra and zap the stones with a laser, but he's hoping to at least pass the big one on his own before then, so he is drinking tons of water every day. He wants to avoid that procedure if possible because it sounds both expensive and unpleasant! I've never had a kidney stone nor a bowel obstruction (knock on wood) so I couldn't compare, but both sound awful!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Well now I can tell ya! Lithotripsy is one thing I will avoid in the future, I had the right side done (right behind the crohns area) and put my bowels in spasams and I was hospitalized both times and puked my brains out (gosh I need my brains lol) and was on morphine for 2 days. The idiot doctor who was presiding next to the technologist didnt realize I had crohns! So the next time I went in, I didnt eat and took gravol and he said "oh this is the one will a low pain tolerance" and I said "NO, this is the one who has crohns disease and you are banging on it!!! My left side was done and it was fine but they missed a fragment. I am assuming your hubby will be put out or a local? I am wincing just thinking about it ...ewww.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Pen, they said it would be an outpatient procedure so I'm guessing it's a local, don't know for sure though. He's got one stone in each kidney right now, a small one in the left and the big one in the right. They said the big one is about 5 mm x 7 mm and the small one is just barely there. He doesn't have IBD or any other health problems so hopefully it won't cause him other problems to have the procedure done. The procedure sounds awful but so does passing a stone that big, especially since like you said he's a guy and the stone has a longer way to pass through!

I have Essential Tremor... another disorder nobody has ever heard of! My hands, arms, legs, and sometimes head will shake uncontrollably when they muscles are activated and fighting the pull of gravity. I have wondered if my Crohn's may have been the cause of my tremors.

But also because I was on Nuvaring at the same time. That was the lowest period of my life (I was newly married and my partner was out of work).
Although they are 10,000 times better off of the birth control.[/QUOTE]

I used to get wicked migraines when I used birth control pills. I get an occasional headache every now and again, but no migraines since I stopped "the pill."

I get nasty headaches now too, but I think they are from my meds. Seems to be worse when I'm coming off of prednisone or starting a new taper level. Thankfully the CD is enough for me at this point. :)

Anemia. Ostepenia. Collapsed arches (means bad knees, bad hips, bad back. Essentially, skeletal problems.. prednisone doesn't make it any better -_-). Overly dry skin in places, and poor blood circulation in extremities

I suspect I have Asperger's syndrome but I've never gotten tested because I don't see a reason to. And since being diagnosed with UC my pancreatic enzymes have been elevated, no cysts/duct problems were found though so the doctors aren't really concerned.