• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Need help with my 9 yr old

HI everyone,

My 9 year old son Brandon was diagnosed with CD two years ago, based on history and a colonoscopy. Went on Asacol , and omeprazole and did well for two years. At thanks giving he had a flare up, we ended up with a new GI for insurance reasons. He said he coldn't say for sure it was CD it may be UC, but he did say yes IBD. Had another colonoscopy and endoscopy. Terminal ileum was hemmorhagic and inflammed, colon looked good. Path results showed chronic colonitis but not much inflammation in terminal ileum. Surprisingly opposite to colonoscopy views. We added Entocrot, got very poor very quickly at $1200 a month, it helped for a month and blood and D dissapeaeard, pain and frequency of BM cedcreased. Then we tried to decrease dose. Pain came back, and frequency of BM went from about 5 to 10 per day. Gave up on that drug after 3 months, went to steriods 40mg. Great after first week, BM down to 3-4 a day, pain decreased from 7/8 to a 3/4, getting whole days at school and not waking up at night due to pain. Tried to wean from steriods, dropped to 30mg and pain increased frequency increased no D and no blood though. Now Dr wants to try Remicade. I wanted to be sure this was the right thing to do. We finally had paid for the Prometheus test as ins wouldn't cover it and got the results today. Apparently the result could not confirm either CD or UC. So now what. Does he even have IBD? He has severe joint pain and is waiting to see a rhuematologist, he has dry eyes and eye poain and redness a lot. He is allergic to eggs which we avoid. His grandmother was DX with CD, and his uncle with UC.

I am so unsure about trying Remicade without knowling if it really is IBD. the nurse practitioner said it is IBD, but undetermined and encouraged us to try Remicade. She said the results of the colonosopy with the views of the terminal iluem were more definite than the Prometheus test results. She also said his inflammatory markers in his blood tests are not present, could this be because he has stayed on his Asacol and Omeprazole the last 2 years?

To top it all, my husband saw his Dr. today. He has autoimmune ITP, and neutropenia with joiunt pain, eye pain and malaise. An undiagnosed autoimmune disease. He just came off steriods that were ineffective and they recommended he try Rituximab (also a chimeric monoclonal antibody). Noone will see both of them together!!

Just don't know which way to go. Can you have an indeterminate result on the prometheus test and still have crohns. Can you have severe pain and life limiting symptoms without inflammatory markers in your blood and without severe ulcers in teh GI tract with IBD???
Help!!

Trina

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
:welcome: to the forum Trina. My goodness you are certainly being challenged in the stress category..alot of worrying on your part. It is very hard for some of us to get a diagnosis and seeing that is runs in the family, he could have either or. There is also Crohn colitis, most doctors think because someone bleeds it is colitis, and most places of Crohns is in the Ileum but that is not entirely true. Crohns can be anywhere, colitis can be mainly in the large bowel/colon. My family also has one or the other. This is only my thoughts but your doctor is right to treat your son because either way he has IBD, and best to catch it before it becomes worse. Another opinion (it is only by experience) but I found Humira to be milder, some people do great on Remicade, and some on Humira. I am just wondering if being on Humira first being it to be milder could be an idea to ask the Gi.

Either way he is experiencing pain and/or blood loss, and being young he needs all he can get. Being on Ensure can help him gain some weight and nutrition which is so important at his age. Good luck, hope you get some help and answers!! :)

ameslouise

Hi Trina and welcome! Ditto what Pen says - talk about medical overload!

I had "undeterminate" results from the Prometheus test as well. It never could confirm whether I had UC or CD.

I would suggest taking a look thru the thread for Parents of Kids with IBD. You can get good information and advice from very kind and experienced parents about dealing with this disease in young kids, and different treatment options.

Good luck to you, your son AND your husband!

- Amy

PS I was first DX with UC in 1995, and eventually re-DX with CD in 2009.

Hi welcome

I feel bad that your son is going through this. Your husband with his condition also. You have to weigh the possible benefits of what Remicade could do for him. It can work wonders for many. I am not sure of how it would be for a 9 year old though.

I wish your son the best of luck and hope that his health improves quickly.

Hi Saphira,
Sorry to hear about your son. I don't know much about the prometheus test, I don't think I ever had one. It sounds like your son is dependant on a high dose Pred, and that can be so bad in the long run, especially for a young boy. I think I would look into the Remicade.

Good luck to your son and your husband too!

Saphire

I'm new on this forum but living with Crohns for about 15 years but finally diagnosed 2007 and extensive surgery- a few times my blood results only showed slight infection, but the symptoms proved to be different and I realised that in my case believe the symptoms. I had the pillcam recently and although my blood results seemed to be nearly normal the pillcam showed severe stenoses, ulcers, some bleeding etc. This might be due to all the medication I'm on - but we believe the symptoms. All the best.