• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I'm new here!

T

Teenie

Hi, I've only been diagnosed with Crohn's for a few months now, but I've had a mild case of it for years. It recently just got worse, and its effecting my life drastically. I don't know anyone that has this disease, probably because no one ever talks about it. I feel so fatigued and undernourished and the cramps are getting unbearable. I refused to take my medicine til now, because I always felt naucious and foggy on it. I'm on Asacol nine times a day, which I'm told is a low dosage. I always feel so much better when I don't eat. I've read all that I can find, but there are so many different opinions, that I'm not sure which one to go with. I would really appreciate it, if anyone has any good advice out there to share.

T

tomohio

HI:
I was too recently diagnoised. I am taking the meds as my doctor told me. Yes I too am having cramps, if you have Diarriah too talk to you doc about a stronger anit diarrah med it sure helped me.
All I can say is keep watcing the post here. This is a great place to share information. I have a mild case so I know what you're going thru. Just do as your doc orders, you wont get any help if not. You may have to put up with being foggy until your body gets used to the medications or you may have to take someting different.
Take care and let me know how you are doing Im on all the time differnt times of the day.
Good Luck
Tom

S

smarttbone

Well, I don't know what to really recommened. Personally, I find it easier to eat carbs than to eat protein. I don't do much except take vitamins and the occasional antibiotics. I just try to make the best of it :)

T

Teenie

Thanks for the encouragement. I needed someone to tell me to listen to the doctor. It's good to know there's someone to talk to.

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Welcome Teenie! I am sorry that your Crohn's Disease has been bugging you more than usually lately. I also have Crohn's, and while I am doing better now, I know there were some rough patches for me also.

I suggest that you focus on resting for now. I think it is important that you take your medication, as that may help reduce your symptoms. Try to stick with blander foods, as this will be less likely to upset your stomach. The BRAT diet (banans, rice, applesauce and toast) can be used during some meals when you feel very bad and do not know what you can possibly eat. Make sure you chew very thouroughly also, to ensure your stomach has as easy a time as possible with digestion.

Good luck and let us know if you have any more questions.

hi tennie
Welcome to the forum.
There are about 1500 people on this forum whom also suffer from
some sort of IBD.
What are your specific questions ?
Some one here can always give opinions or advise.
You might also be in a flare right now.
Tis the time I have been in one since the end of Feb.
Feel free to ask away. We are here to help.
:welcome:
GOODLUCK

T

Teenie

I like the BRAT diet! I was wondering though....Is toast okay to eat if your not in remission yet? It is gluten and that's hard to digest. I been using your suggestion of chewing throughly, and seems to really be helping.

F

flying4frogs

Mastication is a good thing.....
As for the Toast, make it white....

I lived off the BRAT diet for months.

nelson

M

Matthew

It is not just the chewing of the food that matters. The saliva starts the chemical digestion of the food especially starches and such.
Matthew