• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Surgery question

I had small bowel and colon resection about six months ago. I recently had a colonoscopy which showed narrowing and inflammation at the surgery site and area around it. I am wondering if those who had surgery typically develop more narrowing after surgery and how likely it is to have surgery again at the same site from this narrowing and inflammation. I am taking Humira in hopes to avoid a lot of future surgeries.

ameslouise

Hi Crohnie - Can't help you with your question, but there are a lot of folks here who have had resections. Hopefully someone can give you some advice.

Good luck - hope you don't need to get opened up again! - Amy

I read somewhere that surgery and Crohn's is a bit of a dilemma in some cases because of the possibility of narrowing do to adhesions from surgery. I think all surgeries eventually cause this (correct me if Im wrong) and it happens where the resection happened. I didnt know it happened that quickly though...interesting...

narrowing

Hey crohnie I had surgery too around 6 months ago. I went in for a colonoscopy a few weeks ago and it showed some narrowing also. These past 2 weeks i been having alot of diarrhea I am going in for a lower bowel Xray this week. I have a feeling the crohns is back =(

Crohn's Mom

Hey Crohnie2...

Sorry you are having problems again :(

I copied and pasted this from the CCFA in hopes it will answer your question a little :)
Disease Recurrence after Surgery

About 50 percent of adult patients will have a recurrence of symptomatic Crohn's disease within five years after having a resection. The disease usually recurs at the site of the anastomosis or ileostomy.

The chances of a recurrence can be reduced by taking medication, such as 5-ASA agents and immunomodulators.

Recurrent Crohn's disease often can be successfully treated with medications. However, about half of people with recurrent symptoms will need a second surgery
HOpe you feel better ! :hug:

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi there, I have had 2 resections and the first was laproscopic and no adhesions or scar tissue. Scar tissue is greater when you have open surgery, but not all cases. Surgery is not a cure, so the more surgeries you have the faster it can come back. I am avoiding a 3rd resection. Humira could help or Remicade but for me they didnt work. I dont have narrowing at the moment (knock on wood) but I am careful what I eat. We are all different though, so lets hope the Humira does the trick!