• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Im 12 With I.b.d

G

groovychick

hi im amber aged 12 now and i have I.B.D and i want to know more about it but of couse i know alot about it now but i wanna know more anyway more about me: i was dieagnosed when i was 4,1/2 after a family hoilday to lanzarote and when i came back my stools where bloody and really runny so my mum first said i had a hoilday tummy but toke me to the docters anyway, and he said "yes yes ok i think its nothing as you said mrs ferguson probaly a hoilday tummy" but my mum still wasnt happy and we kept going back to the docters and they kept saying the same thing but my mum wasnt happy and marched me up to the hosptile who, after a LOAD of tests said it was I.B.D my mum was relived that she now knew (so was I!!)
anyway now i've told u my story u have to tell me your (sorry that mines really long)

R

ruthymg

Hi Amber and welcome to the forum. Your story is short compared to some, so don't apologise. I have a 13 year old son so I guess you could say, I sort of understand teenagers, even though you're not quite there yet lol
Anyway, I look forward to chatting further and hope to be of some help sometime.

Ruth

Hi Amber!!

I just want to say :welcome: to the forum and make yourself at home.
I know you want to learn more about your disease and perhaps
you have questions that some of us can answer for you.

Hey! I love your positive attitude!
Keep smiling! :)

Hugs~Nancy

E

Evagation

Hi Amber! I'm new to the forum, as well, but I still wanted to say Hola!

When I started having bloody stools when I was six, my doctor told my Mom the same thing your doc told your Mom--that I was a nervous child with a nervous tummy. My Mom didn't listen to those doctors, either, and got me the tests that diagnosed me with Crohn's. We are two lucky girls because we have such wonderful Moms.

As Nancy said, if you have any questions, or just want to talk, definitely come here and (even though I'm new, too) I'm sure everyone here will be glad to help. We're not doctors, though, so we'll just be sharing our opinions, and our stories.

Hugs,
Katie.

G

groovychick

thanks

thanks everyone, just to say i really apsheiate it you :mademyday:
im from :uk_flag: (england) :ylol2:
wuv you all
amberxxxxxxxxx

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Hello Amber!

It is nice to see you hear. As I told you earlier feel fre to ask any questions here and I hope to see you around more often :D.

that I was a nervous child with a nervous tummy.
Sad that that seems the fall back answer to young people when they get the disease. I got that line as well, that it was just "growing pains" and everyone gets them. I somehow don't consider blood in your (switching to gross kid mode) poo to be normal, or a bunch of pain that makes you roll up into a ball. Luckily, my Mom and the doctors kept at it till they figured out the problem. I got that line from my Dad, but he didn't know better at the time and he's learned a lot more about it after having to see me go through it.

Hi, by the way, and welcome. :)

S

smarttbone

Hello, welcome to the forums. It's nice to know there is someone near my age on here (I'm 15). You'll find lots of helpful people here

E

Evagation

DanSJVDavis said:
Sad that that seems the fall back answer to young people when they get the disease. I got that line as well, that it was just "growing pains" and everyone gets them. I somehow don't consider blood in your (switching to gross kid mode) poo to be normal, or a bunch of pain that makes you roll up into a ball. Luckily, my Mom and the doctors kept at it till they figured out the problem. I got that line from my Dad, but he didn't know better at the time and he's learned a lot more about it after having to see me go through it.
I also got the very annoying diagnosis of: It's all in her head. Since Mom moved me from the first pediatrician who said I was just nervous, the next one said, flat-out, that it was all in my mind. How in the world could a seven year old decide to MAKE UP this sort of illness?

Plus, as you said, the bloody stools. Except all of the bad pediatricians can argue that away as it being a case of over-protective mothers who are creating fake illnesses in their kids (and while this is an actual mental disorder, I don't think it's relevant when the kid is actually sick).

It was strange the way we finally found a pediatrician who actually listened to us. I'd broken my ankle on a Saturday, so we went to the clinic to see the on-call Doc about my ankle, and just ended up talking about all of my fevers, bloody stools, rolling in a ball on the floor and screaming in pain. You know. The usual. Turned out that he had done some residency work at Valley Children's Hospital out here in CA (now Children's Hospital of Central California) and that he had worked with their head gastroenterologist.

He got me an appointment with her on the following Monday. She basically saved my life, and I continued to see her until I was 23 (yes, 23 years old, still seeing my pediatric GI) because I love her. She's almost like a family member.

I'm glad the CCFA is so much more organized now, and is always working on educating doctors about IBD, trying to get them to stop treating us all like we're a bunch of nervous hypochondriacs.

Katie.

M

Matthew

Hi Amber

What a charming and together young lady you are. Your positive attitude is an inspiration to old folks like me. Take it from a wise old man please try and keep this bright outlook of yours as it may very well help you more than anything else - in all aspects of your life not just this illness. Continue to do your best to enjoy your life and don't spend too much time thinking about this kind of stuff, there are a lot better things to do.

Matthew