• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fresh Meat

Hello everyone, just figured I'd introduce myself and get to know everyone a little better. It is my first time posting to a forum about the disease so this is all new to me. I was first diagnosed with Crohn's disease in April of 2009 while undergoing an Appendectomy. I had began feeling pains in my lower right side and a CT scan later my family doctor diagnosed Appendicitis which I had removed the same day. A few weeks later after recovering I began to experience similar pains and frequent bowel movements. Another CT scan later and a referral to the GI led to a colonoscopy which confirmed the crohns in the ileum and cecum. I was put on Flagyl and prednisone, then Dipentum which helped it go into remission. About a year later I began to have nasty flare ups which then led to the remicade infusions. In December of 2010 I was admitted to the ER with a Bowel Obstruction. And again recently in April 2011 another visit to the ER with an obstruction. I spoke with my GI and a Colon/Rectal Surgery here at Overlook hospital and I have elected to have a small bowel resection of about 10 cm of the Ileum. The area is narrowed by scar tissue and medicine at this point wont reverse the issue.

I am scheduled to have the proceedure this Friday April 22 at Overlook Hospital in Summit, NJ. I am a 23 year old male and I was just wondering if anyone else has gone through a similar procedure and what their experience was like. Thanks for having me on board!

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome! I am so sorry you have had to go through so much at such a young age. I have not had this procedure, but I do want to wish you lots of luck! I hope it will get you feeling better and allow Remicade to do its job to keep you well.

PS - I am a Jersey girl! I am from Millstone in Monmouth County, right by Six Flags. My parents are still there, but I have moved to PA where cost of living is much less!

ameslouise

Hi Bavaria and welcome!

There are tons of people on here who have had resections! Take a poke around the forum and you'll find a lot of information about surgeries.

Good luck with your opp - I am sure you will feel tons better after you have recovered!

- Amy

Welcome Bavaria! I have had surgeries, but not a resection. I have heard from several people though that it was the best thing they ever did! Good luck to you, and welcome to the forum!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
:welcome: Bavaria! Glad you joined us. I have had two resections, the first being a laproscopy and very small incision on the right side. I was sore but I was able to be be back to normal within 4-6 weeks (20 years ago hard to remember) then I was on Entocort 3mg for a maintenence drug, for 7 years, had a great remission. I also had my initial exploratory surgery and they took out my appendix too, it is very common. I had 6 inches taken out the first time. In total now I have had 2ft taken out. As with any surgery there is some discomfort but there are pain meds to help. Are you having laproscopic surgery? If so, you are going to be ok. :hang:

Last edited:
Hey Bavaria,

haha..great thread title.. sort of feels that way huh??? Only you're not really fresh meat anymore...you've already had a surgery :p
Good luck with your surgery - the thought is really consuming isn't it?? I just recently had surgery and the waiting for me was worse than the actual outcome (well, the pain the first 2 days was worse) but once I woke up in OR after, I felt a huge relief of it just being over.
Anyhow, keep us posted! We are a really supportive bunch :)
Wendy

Thanks for the responses folks. I'm actually more excited and glad than anything about having this procedure done haha. Sounds strange but I can't wait to start living a normal life again. Its amazing how a disease can change every aspect of your life. My social life has taken a plunge but there are a few people in my life who I can always count on. Professionally its killing my income and job status. The one thing that bothers me the most is missing Easter Sunday with the family but they all understand.
As far as the surgery I am having an open incision done. They feel the success rate is better with an open cut rather than a laparoscopic one. Got my final admit instructions and bloodwork done yesterday as well as another remicade infusion to keep this at bay after the surgery.
Ill keep you guys updated and once again thanks for the support! Everyone have a happy easter!

-Tony

Just had a quick question regarding the medications I'm taking and the surgery. The GI has me on Prednisone, 6MP, and now a recent dose of Remicade. I feel like thats a little much on immuno-suppressants especially when I have to heal after the surgery. Hopefully my body will have enough to combat the infection and inflammation after the surgery. Anyone else take this many meds before their surgery and if it had any affect on the recovery process?

Bavaria- I was on Prednisone and 6mp when I had my resection. It did increase the healing time. Good luck with the surgery. Get up and walk as soon as they will let you.

Wendy

Hi Tony,
I live close by (Somerset county), so on this forum, we're practically neighbors.
I hope the surgery went well and you'll be posting again soon.

I had an emergency resection a few years back and it was my "easiest" surgery - if any are easy - ugh.

Good luck!!!

Well I had the surgery Friday afternoon and everything went well so far. I'm now in my second day of recovery in a private room. The pain is moderate thanks to the dilaudid I've been giving myself. I didn't expect the incision to be so large it.starts at my belt button. And runs down four inches to the top of my pelvic region. Still on liquids until the doc gives me the food upgrade. Happy Easter all!

I had surgery back in 1974. The doc thought it was my appendix but found crohns and took out the appendix and affected area. I had a small flare up after that and took prednisone but then I was in remission for about 30 years then I got a twisted intestine from the scar tissue. A few years after the surgery I started having bleeding which was caused by ulceration around the resection site and now I get flare ups and had some really bad bleeding in December. I am now just on Entocort and Pentasa but may have to go on Cimzia if the Entocort doesn't keep the Crohns under control. Hopefully you will have a long remission like I did. Good luck!!

Thanks guys I really appreciate that. The surgeon upgraded me to full liquids today (milk, puree, pudding etc.) I feel some movement in the are I was operating its kinda painful but manageable. No bowel movements yet but I have been passing gas here and there. Hopefully these are good signs! Happy Monday everyone!