• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New here

Hey, new here! I've never joined a forum/message board thing like this before, this looks great.

This all came on so strange for me. I was feeling really great, boxing five days a week, just feeling really well. Then one day I just all of the sudden got the worst pain I've ever experienced in my life with nausia and vomiting. I had my best friend come over and he sat with me for about eight hours until it passed. This seemed pretty strange but the next day I felt much better. My stomach stayed off for a couple weeks though, so I assumed I had a stomach bug. Later in the month the feeling came back worse. I got real tired and started to lose weight and have some mild pain. I got a colonoscopy and that's how I got diagnosed with Crohn's disease. Shortly after the colonoscopy my sympoms improved and I gained the weight back without being on any medications. I felt pretty much fine with the occasional bad day until February. Then it started getting a lot worse for me. I started on Pentasa and Entocort. Since february I have gotten worse and worse and I'm not feeling good at all now. I just started prednisone last week and am taking percocet and zofram. I'm really worried about the amount of pain and nausia I have. My doctor wants to start me on Remicade. This has really been an eye opening thing for, cause I know so many people have this so much worse than I do. I'm a college student and had to drop out of classes this semester. I'm usually such an active person, it's really hard having to just stay home a lot. Fortunately though, I have a wonderful family and girlfriend who are very supportive. Playing music has been a big help in keeping productive and keeping my spirits up too.
Aside from all that here's a bit about me: I'm a college student studying biology at Emory University. I play bass and love music. I have a wonderful girlfriend I've been living with for six years and I'm proposing to her next week. I'm big into the outdoors, I love hiking, camping, caving, hunting, fishing. I box. I love riding motorcycles. I love reading. And I love dogs. I have a siberian husky named Thor. Glad to meet you all!

Oh yes, and one more thing. My percocet and zofram seem to be constipating me a bit. Any suggestions on a gentle laxative for those drugs? I've tried milk of magnesia but it was a little intense.

Good morning from Canada! I know how you feel - my Crohn's started in university, and I eventually had to drop courses. If you aren't feeling well, see if you can register for online Didn't have these when I went through. Early in my Crohn's, it was reasonably predictable when I would have my good time of day and when it would be bad. Try to take advantage of it when you can.

Strangely enough for me, my symptoms really settled down when I got out on the water fishing. I could be going to the washroom 15 times a day, but when I got into the boat it seemed like my bowels knew not to mess with my fishing time! Keep active - it really helps recovery times if you need surgery. Hopefully Remicade will work for you and you won't need the knife.

Have fun with your proposal!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi Max :welcome: glad you joined us. You are one of the fortunate ones to get such a quick diagnosis. Mine took a year and some are still waiting for a dx. Painkillers will constipate, but try and avoid laxatives, not a good idea long term. Senna pills help and drinking lots of water it also helps to flush toxins out of your liver. Remicade could be your miracle drug, good luck.

ameslouise

Hi Max and welcome!

Sorry to hear things are so bad right now with your Crohns. I hope the Remicade helps! Check out the Remi thread in the Treatment section of the forum.

So glad to hear you have a good support system, a wonderful GF and family, and good creative outlets to help you cope with the disease and the toll its taken on your active life. It's tough when you have to give things up that you love, but this disease is unpredictable and there are so many treatment options - chances are you will hit on something that is right for you and you'll be back outdoors hiking and camping with Thor in no time!

Stool softeners are your best bet for dealing with the constipation. Colace is a good one as Stefanie said.

Keep us posted on your progress!!

- Amy

Hi Maxwheel,
Welcome to the forum. Hopefully the Pred will kick in soon, if not already. It always worked quickly for me, just a few days if I was on 40mg or so.

Congrats on the upcoming proposal! I hope you can get your symptoms under control soon. You may to ask your doc about Humira. It just seems more convienent to do the shots yourself than go to a infusion center.

In fact, at my last GI appt, my doc commented to me that his Remicade rep was in and he told her that he is really preferring Humira lately. But, all docs have their preferences.

I hope you can get back into school and keep doing all those great activities!