• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Painful bum!

Hi all,

I am 49 year old mother of two young children, trying to cope with Crohns disease (25 years), interstitial cystitis and underactive thyroid, and to top it all a bottom which feels like I'm sitting on a couple of golf balls!! (I kid you not!!)

I have been taking amitriptyline 50mg per night - its kept my crohns and bladder in check for a while. Have been on it for several years now, and although it has grotty side effects it was the best of the two evils. For the last couple of years I have kept getting a reoccuring sore, burning, itchy bum, especially bad after a b.m. not really bad, but uncomfortable for me to start doing the usual creams, warm baths etc doesn't seem to help it.

Anyway, seen the doc, and crohns doc, had a sigo and nothing to show anything up but extremly painful during the proceedure. Had a mri last year, in October, and nothing seen (although by then the pain had gone).

In June I was put on levothyroxine for thyroid, and this helped with the tiredness, that I have always put down to crohns. My sore bum stopped as suddenly as it had started - happy days! However my bladder started playing up, pain frequency it was as if something was fixed so something else broke! Anyway upped the amit, and still no change.

Back and forth to the doctors, no help really. Then in October they increased my levethyroxine, and my bladder continued to play up, and I generally felt unwell. Kept uping the amitrip and was getting nowhere. Crohns remains not bad, had a few bad days, and then my bum started again.

Decided to see an acupuncturist about my bladder in January with a view to try and get off the amit to see what was happening. By March I was off it completely, but my bum has got even worse.

I am back and forth to the doctor, and she has put me on dizapan at night. It is like I am sitting on something, sometimes both sides, sometimes just on the left. The pain and burning wakes me up at 4am like clockwork, and its hot baths or hot flannels, and neurofen. My stomach also looks like it goes into spasms, not pain, just moves about a lot, like theres a rave going in there. Crohns doc is convinced this is nerve related and the fact that am off amit its all reared its ugly head, and maybe go back on the tablet. As day goes on I get more and more bloated. Had bloods last week, and stool test this week just to double check no inflamation.

Seen physio who says my levante ani pelvic muscle is in spasm and doesnt know why? this can effect the bowel. Help? Any ideas, I must sound like a nutter!! but this is driving me so mad, can;t sit, walk very far, and going to the loo is painful after. Crohns doc says scan Oct last year - nothing could reappear that quick. Any ideas help greatly appreciated... Thankyou.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome! You sound like me - if it isn't one thing, it's another. As soon as one issue resolves, another stirs up again. Lucky us! Oh, and the butt pain! It makes working a desk job just horrific at times.

As far as the spasms, have you ever tried an antispasmodic like hyoscyamine? I started taking these a few weeks ago, and I have seen a little improvement. Perhaps it is worth mentioning to your GI.

Hi,
sorry you feel so horrible :-( Before I found out I had crohns I was diagnosed with lycrascrosis, it is the thinning of skin in the vaginal and bum area, when my hormones are out of wack by bum would kill kill me, in so much pain like there was a fire going on down there :-( lycrascrosis is an auto immunen disorder as well so it makes science that they go hand in hand. I hope u feel better soon,.

Will certainly look into that one!! thank you for your help x What did you do to help it? My gp thinks this is all anxiety related, I did explain the only thing I am anxious about is that fact that my bum is on fire!! xx

to xjillx,

Thankyou so much for your advice, will look into that as well, thank goodness for this website I feel better just talking about it!! xx

Astra

Hiya Sqidgy

I've replied to your PM, It's just awful, I can totally relate!
But listen, go easy on the NSAIDS, Ibuprofen, Nurofen etc
These can irritate the lining of the intestines, big no no for a Crohnie!
I'm loving my Amitrip, maybe time to go back on it?
And welcome! Lots of friends here for you, all paddling in the same boat!
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Hi Squigybum! I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you. It sounds awful!

Just wanted to welcome you to the forum and say that I hope you get it all sorted out soon! Jill is right, if it isn't one thing it's another with this disease.

I hear you! The pain and burning is so intense after a bm, I see stars! I can't walk, stand, or sit comfortably for a least half an hour after. Fortunately for me, a sitz bath offers some relief, followed by a mixture of zinc and castor cream mixed with Dermaid (cortisone cream). Meanwhile, I'm hoping that by reducing the frequency of bms through medication, my bottom might get a chance to heal. I guess we just have to hang in there!

ameslouise

Hi Squidgy and welcome!

Don't have much advice, but just wanted to say welcome! I agree with Joan - maybe try going back on the Amitrip - it really is a great antispasmodic.

Good luck, I hope you can get things sorted out soon - Amy