• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello Folks!

Hey fellow Crohnies! I'm Mike. I was diagnosed with severe Crohn's disease about 5 years ago, during my second year of college. My symptoms included constipation, severe nausea, abdominal pains, extreme weight loss, and plain embarrassment in explaining my situation to anyone. The disease caused me to go from a 185 pound jock to a 145 pound hunched over hermit. I literally spent 3 months trapped in my bed due to the sharp pain coming from my colon. I've taken many of the standard medications including Pentasa, Entocourt, Prednisone, Mercaptopurine and Remicade. It took me a couple years to find the right combination to eliminate most of my symptoms. The cocktail that I now take and seems to control my symptoms best is a combination of Pentasa, Mercaptopurine, Remicade and an anti-depressant, all in low doses. I feel great now and am back at my normal weight. I came upon this forum recently and think it's great to see a support system for others with this disease.

Hi Mike!

Welcome to the forum! I am glad you found us :D
I am also happy to hear that your crohns is finally under control and I hope it stays that way.
Please look around the forum - there are a lot of really great knowledgeable/supportive people here. I am sure you will also have some valuable input from your experience.
Take care and see you around the forum!

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Mike and welcome! It must have been very difficult being diagnosed with Crohn's Disease during college. Were you able to complete your degree? But what wonderful news that you are feeling so well on your current "cocktail"! I sure hope it continues to do the trick.

This forum has been a great support system for me. It is so helpful to talk to people who know exactly what you are going through. I hope you find it as comforting. Also, I think you will make a great addition to our little family to show others that once you find the right treatment - life can be good! So happy you found us, Mike!

Thanks everyone. I did have to take one term off, but yes I did graduate in the normal time period. I would go to class and then immediately go back to my room and lie in bed. Prednisone helped me get through it, but the side effects of taking it became worse and worse as time went on. One time I sneezed and got a muscle spasm in my neck. I didn't even know that was possible! It was a very tough, lonely period. I also wanted to mention that I found anxiety was a huge contributor to my disease. It wasn't until I got that in check that my symptoms really started to fade.

ameslouise

Hi Mike and welcome!

Glad you got things under control with your current cocktail! Nice to hear that you were able to complete school, too. What are you doing now? Are you working?

Keep feeling well!

- Amy