• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi! Newly diagnosed with UC and new here.

I'm so glad to find a place to get support and information. I'm lucky, I suppose, to only have a "mild" case of UC. I'm a 30-something mom to two boys living on the West coast of the U.S.

I had my second baby in May 2010 and it was during the second trimester then that I started experiencing UC symptoms--mainly toilet urgency (how else do you say that?) and a frightening amount of blood loss every time I sat down on the can... which, as all of you know, can be a lot of times in a day.

I lost so much blood that I became severely anemic. I was getting acupuncture, taking iron supplements, Floradix, black strap molasses, eating lots of leafy greens, etc. It was never enough. I had to be wheeled around in a wheelchair, I was so exhausted and out of it. Finally, I had some IV iron infusions and that seemed to get me just back to normal.

I couldn't have a colonoscopy because by then I was well into my third trimester of pregnancy. I vowed to come back in and get one done after I had the baby.

Alas, when I gave birth, symptoms disappeared completely, so I chalked it up to a weird pregnancy thing and carried on, not realizing how good I had it.

Symptoms returned at nine months post-partum. I had a full blood panel done, and my iron levels are just barely still in the normal range. My vitamin D was in the crapper (pun intended), however, which makes me suspicious--isn't UC an autoimmune disease? Anyway, I scheduled a colonoscopy, which I just had about a week ago, and was instantly diagnosed with UC and given a prescription for Asacol. Still waiting for the biopsy results, but hopeful that it's not cancer, too (egad!).

I don't know if this is crazy, but I haven't filled the prescription yet. I have read a lot about how those meds can cause other serious problems, and I'm reluctant to trade one set of problems for another if I can avoid it. So I've researched and ordered some supplements (B-complex, Botswellia Serrata, DHA, EPA, Omega-3s, and D3). Has anyone had success in turning around a case of IBD with diet/supplements alone? I want to at least try before filling the prescription. I'm curious about Aloe--has it worked for you? Juice, gel, or latex? Do you recommend a brand?

I've been vegan for a decade now and was vegetarian before that. I eat a healthy diet comprised mostly of whole foods. I was baffled as to how I ended up with this thing, since no one in my family has a history of IBD (although I do have an uncle who beat colon cancer). Then I read that the acne drug Accutane can cause it. My mom had me on Accutane TWICE when I was a young teenager, so I'm guessing that's it. I wonder why it's just showing up now, though. Anyone else take Accutane before?

As a side note, despite my excellent iron levels up until the UC showed up, my GI doc and others continued to push that it was because I'm vegan, which I know to be untrue. So irritating!

I'm so happy to be here. I'm especially excited to meet other vegans, folks who are managing symptoms with diet/supplements, and those who may have been on Accutane in the past. I look forward to talking about our butts together. :p

Last edited:
Hi Noelia and welcome!

there's lots of talk about diet and supplements on the forum, but everyone's case is different. I personally got no benefit from Aloe (in the form i took it), now i only take what the docs prescribe as i cant afford to experiment with alternatives.

Good luck and good health!

Ian

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Noelia and welcome! Lots of butt talk goes on here - you came to the right place!

I completely understand your concern with treatment options and the side effects. It can be scary. However, it is much worse to let your disease take its course. Asacol is a mild treatment, but you have to decide what is right for you. I don't have advice for managing IBD with supplements, though I have read many having success (though usually combined with traditional treatment). Have you considered taking a probiotic such as VSL #3? There is a lot of research showing probiotics greatly benefit those with UC.

I wish you luck and I hope you find a plan that works for you.

ameslouise

Hi Noelia and welcome!

I was dx with UC originally and was on Asocol/mesalamine for a long time. It is one of the less-harsh drugs for IBD as far as side effects go; it's relatively safe and used for mild to moderate cases.

If you go to Amazon you will find about a zillion books by peole that have put themselves into remission from IBD with diet/supplements. You will even find some of those people here. And it can happen for some people. Some advocate veganism, some high animal protien, some specific carbs, etc etc.

Here's the thing about these diseases - they are different for everyone. Symptoms are different and what treatments are effective vary from person to person.

So if you are not in immediate danger, you can certainly try to get things under control without the pharma meds.

However, in my opinion, and speaking from experience, don't wait too long. Pay attention to your body and if you are not responding to the alternative treatments, get on the Asocol right away before you end up needing something stronger. Trust me. Been there, done that and now I sit shitting into a bag for the rest of my life because things got out of control.

I found it very hard to keep my iron levels up when I was a vegan. There are so many great non-animal sources of iron, but they are not nearly as well-absorbed on their own as they are when combined with animal sources. And while you have active disease, remember that your body is not absorbing as much as when its healthy.

And we do plenty of talking about our butts around here! It's our favorite things to do!

Hope you start to feel better soon!! - Amy