• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Oldie

Hi,

I am Catherina, have had Crohn's for as long as I remember but have only been diagnosed 6 years ago when galblatter as wel as colon burst and created a mess in my belly.
Have tried NSAIDS, no results, Budecol, antibiotics and last but not least Azathioprine.
For no known reason, August last a second auto-immune struck - demyelating polineuropathy and ............. few months later psoriatic arthritis.
Having a colonoscopy tomorrow and am preparing with Clean Prep. Any suggestions on how to not throw up???

Hi Catherina:

Welcome to the forum! The prep is quite the ordeal, isn't it? I usually try to drink it as chilled/cold as possible and with a straw. I usually have some ginger ale around to drink right after to change the taste in my mouth. I also keep chewing gum around and stick that in my mouth right after the prep, or sometimes in between. Remember to keep drinking lots of water during the prep so not to dehydrate!

I hope your prep and colonoscopy go well...it seems that you have a lot of other complicated stuff besides Crohn's to deal with and it can make everything so much more challenging.

Let us know how things go...

Wishing you well,

Kismet

ameslouise

Hi Catherina and welcome!

Good luck with your prep and test. Have you and your doc(s) discussed any further treatment that might help both your Crohn's and the psoriatic arthritis? Is Remicade or Humira an option that might help both?

Where are you located?

Let us know how your test goes!

- Amy

No immunodepressants allowed

No immunodepressants are allowed due to the 'demyelating polineuropathy', only cortisone and simple painkillers. I get over a lot of pain with yoga and walking. If things really get bad with my belly I just stop eating for a few days. Live in Athens, Greece. After the kolonoscopy and whatever results I have there, I will be in hospital mid May for a therapy with immuno-enhancers (for the neuropathy). Like oil on a burning house so my tummy-doctor says. The Psoriatic arthritis? Sitting and walking in the sun (also helps with vitamin uptake), hydrating creams (I have got the psoriasis in the face) and the arthritis needs exercise (hands, knees, shoulders and back) and warm water.
Just hope kolonoscopy works out fine and don't have any obstructions.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Welcome Catherina! Wow - to live in Athens! I just visited Greece this past September. It is so surreal. Also, my husband and I were fortunate enough to have our friend, who is originally from Corfu, give us a personal tour. It was a trip of a lifetime!

Ugh - prep - the bane of my existence! After 2 cups, I can't keep it down. I have learned to keep it down by mixing equal halves of the prep with either apple juice or Gatorade. It takes longer to get through it, but I can finish it. Good luck and let us know how tomorrow goes!

Colonoscopy today

Hi everybody,
Yesterday, I was worried about the cathartics and the colonoscopy because the previous time for I don't know what reason, during the intake of the cathartics nothing came out from the usual way. I kept drinking (total 4 liters) and did not go to the bathroom. I had the tendency to throw up but tried to keep it down.
The battle took approx. 7 hours after which I just hung down from the bed and everything came out of my nose and mouth. I had pain in my belly and my partner was terrified. Next morning I went to do my colonoscopy in the hospital and they send me home because my testines were not clean. My pathologist told me to make x-rays which I did the day after. It showed that my colon was in a spin of a kind. Anyway, I tried again and although I did go to the toilet, a lot of the liquid came again out the wrong way. This time, the needle with the Dormicom was not placed well and I more or less had a live colonoscopy and gastroscopy. Not nice.
Today, due to the neurological problem they were afraid to gave me any anaesthetics and we did it 'cold turkey' again. I can imagine nicer things to do but .................... the results were great! No ulcers, no fractions, nothing. Also, with yoga and good breathing it is possible to have colonoscopy (they went in for more than one meter) without anaesthetics.
Proof again that you can always do more than you think.