• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hard Boiled Eggs

Is it just me or do these destroy you with bad gas? I love to eat them but you don't wanna be around me hours later.

They don't bother me, but if my boyfriend (who does not have any digestive issues) eats any form of eggs, he produces really awful farts, bad enough that they make me gag at times!

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
Boiling eggs in the shells traps the sulphur that is present in the yolk, which is why hard boiled eggs often have the grey coating around the yolk and why sulphur is often described as having a rotten egg smell. It's the trapped sulphur that often causes the gas and why scrambled eggs are usually easier on the stomach because the sulphur gas can be released as opposed to building up.

Boiling eggs in the shells traps the sulphur that is present in the yolk, which is why hard boiled eggs often have the grey coating around the yolk and why sulphur is often described as having a rotten egg smell. It's the trapped sulphur that often causes the gas and why scrambled eggs are usually easier on the stomach because the sulphur gas can be released as opposed to building up.

:ywow: I never know that! It does make sense though...aha

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Vonfunk, that makes a lot of sense. I love scrambled eggs and also hard-boiled eggs but just the whites, I always discard the yolks because they taste so awful. If they cause gas too, then I'm glad I've been tossing them.

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
Thanks for the input. I don't like eggs. The only way that I will eat them is if they are mixed in something. I think their smell turns me off. My husband loves eggs, but he gets terrible gas from them. He doesn't have CD, UC, or IBS. I do know that he is lactose intolerant, but I don't think that has any effect on his reaction to eggs.

Hmm scrambled eggs are my favorite...thinking of having them for dinner tonight :p Some milk and some velveeta mixed in and they come out nice and fluffy!

Not hard boiled but can try them that way.

I loveeeeee scrambled eggs! every morning, I have 2 whole eggs and 2 egg whites, scrambled with salsa. then I put it on half of a toasted bagel with cheddar cheese on it. yummmmm :)

hopefully my cholesterol doesn't come back to bite me in the ass later on in life. oh well.