• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sue edw

sue edw

My friend suffers with Chrohns disease. but she has so many health problems that dont seen to get resolved, She passes out for no reason and sometimes goes into a comatozed state, she sits with her head bent forward nearly touching her knees, and when we try talking to her she seems to be falling asleep but knows what we are talking about, sometiomes she thinks she is going mad, She spends most of her time sleeping and doesnt seem to have a life. This jhas only happened in the last two years before she seemed to bounce back all the time but now its hard for her to function with her life. She is on pain relief tabs and Im wondering whether this is causing this reaction, The doctors dont seem to be able to come up with any reasonable answer just say its part of the Chrons disease, She does suffer with a lot of pain at times her knees swell and then her legs but still no answer. Can anyone help me understand so I can help her .:ghug::

ameslouise

Hi Sue and welcome! You are a kind and caring friend to come here seeking support on her behalf.

There are a lot of knowledgeable people here and tons of good information. It sounds like your friend has a lot going on. We can give you advice and guidance based on Crohn's related stuff, but there's a lot of questions I suggest you ask your friend:

1. What other diagnoses does she have, other than Crohns?
2. What is her full list of meds?
3. Has she has a full panel of bloodwork done recently?
4. Does she see her GI or RP regularly?

It's painful to see a loved one suffering, but you know the old saying about leading a horse to water. Ultimately, your friend is responsible for her own health care and she needs to take the lead on it.

Good luck - I hope she can find some answers. The best thing you can do as a friend is support and be there for her.

Where are you located - US or elsewhere?

- Amy

Going through this disease when you have a lot of pain causes a lot of strain on the body. When I was flaring I was sleeping most of the day. Dealing with chronic pain also causes depression in many people. All you can do is be there for your friend. You can suggest that she really push the doctors to help her, but you cannot force it. If she doesn't feel well she should tell the doctors and if they don't help her she needs to get another doctor. I have learned that you really have to take charge of your own health and don't accept an answer if you don't believe in it. Sometimes the doctors don't find out what is wrong right away.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
First off, your friend is very lucky to have someone like you in her life. It is really great that you want to educate yourself about your friend's disease so you can better understand what she is going through.

People with Crohn's can have periods of remission, meaning they experience no symptoms. So, she was most likely in remission when she seemed to "bounce back". However, depending on the severity of the disease, when it is active, it can be very deliberating. Unfortunately, there is a lot more than just frequent bathroom trips with Crohn's. Many people experience joint and back pain, fatigue, fevers, vitamin deficiencies, and anemia. And, of course, this disease can take a toll on you emotionally. If symptoms linger and progress, it is most likely time to reevaluate the current treatment. Perhaps, you should encourage your friend to be more proactive about her disease, so she can start feeling well again.