• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello!

Hi There -

I was dxed with Crohn's Colitis 3 months after my DH and I were married and 2 months after my flare first started. It went on for 2 weeks before I finally went to he dr's in the ER suggested that it might be Crohn's or Colitis after hearing my family history and sent me to my family dr. After a colonoscopy and diagnosis I was put on Prednisone to treat the flare and Asacol to control it. I haven't had a flare since...until now. In September of 2009 I stopped taking my meds because we were TTC and stayed off my meds while I was pregnant and after I had my baby. I'm currently debating whether or not to start taking meds again after 2 years as I suspect I'm at the start of a flare.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome! I am sorry your remission had to come to an end. I am not a doctor, but I do think you should start taking medication again. You don't want your flare to prolong or progress, which could cause possible damage. Medication will help get things under control and keep the inflammation away. Do you have a GI appointment set up for the near future? If not, I highly recommended setting one up to at least discuss treatment options. Good luck!

David

Co-Founder
Hi Rinstah and welcome! I'm glad you found your way here. I'm so sorry to hear you're experiencing a new flare, you poor thing! I agree with Jill above and hope you've made an appointment with your doctor to consult with them. I hope they're able to get you in remission soon! All my best to you :)

Hi Rinstah, I totally agree with Jill and David (who both rock @ advice!) Although we know our own bodies I don't think you should just go back on the meds w/o seeing your doc. Good luck! :) Jan

Thanks everyone :) I don't have an appointment but I was thinking about setting one up just to check and see what he suggests. I'm finding it difficult to deal with mentally since my only real symptoms are gas and cramping which comes in waves and usually passes. So I'm hoping perhaps I'm not going into a flare? One can hope!

ameslouise

Hi Rinstah and welcome!

Ditto above... see your GI and PLEASE seriously consider going back on the meds. They will help get thigns under control and keep them from spiraling and getting worse.

Better safe than sorry. Take it from one who let things go too long hoping things would go away without meds.

Good luck! -Amy