• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My first time talking about crohn's

Hey everyone, I'm yourfavoritecrohny. I've had Crohn's since 2006. I was diagnosed the summer after high school graduation. Having such a life changing thing happen to me (crohn's) right before another life changing thing was going to take place (college) was a lot to handle. I've just recently graduated college and I've had a few major flares since the start of this interesting chapter of my life.

This is the first time I've ever decided to join a community so I am excited to see how this will change how I think and feel about my condition. Currently, I'm going through what I think is a flare. About a week ago, I started to feel a pain in my stomach, on the right side, right off the edge of my belly button. It didn't so much feel as if something inside was hurting as it felt the it was the skin or just under. It's hard to explain but it was sore to a light touch. Anyways, I began to get cramps all over my abdominal area a day or two later and have been on and off. I haven't had any bleeding or any abnormal bowel movements, but I've noticed I've been gassier than normal.

I normally do the "wait a week to see if it gets better" thing, but I'm going to call my doc in the morning to explain my symptoms and see what they have to say. I've been very stressed at home lately (starting off in the "real world" and living with my single mom who has been looking for a job for over a year now, as well as trying to keep my relationships intact).

I'm not going to ramble on any further because I'm sure there is a thread where I'm supposed to talk about current flares and stuff, but I just wanted to give you all a quick idea of who I am and how I'm currently feeling. I've never really talked to anyone else about my crohn's so I'm hoping this turns out to be a positive experience for me. I'm starting to cramp up pretty bad right now so I'm going to lie down and watch some TV!

Thanks for reading "my story." I'm looking forward to finding strength and courage from you all and I hope to provide the same!

Welcome! This is a really great community of people and there is a wealth of information here.

Hope your flare is not a flare and just a minor bump in the road.

Thanks for the kind words! I hope it's just a bump in the road as well. As you know, we tend to get pretty used to bumps in our roads. It's nice to know others are driving on the same road with me.

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
I just wanted to say, "Welcome to the forum." This is a terrific place to meet others who can share your pain. Please make yourself at home. :)

Hey! Im also new to this forum but so far i have found it very supportive & its great to have others to talk to who are in the same situation! I hope your feeling better soon! X

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome! I have found the forum really helpful to be able to talk to those who can completely relate to what I am going through. I am sure it will help you, as well.

I sure hope you aren't starting a flare up. Good idea to phone your GI; better safe than sorry. Keep us posted!

ameslouise

Hi Crohny and welcome!

I'm with Jill - better safe than sorry - call your GI and get in there to see him/her right away. You're better off nipping it in the bud if it is a flare then waiting till it gets much worse.

You are at a major turning point in your life with lots going on - it's likely the added stress has upset your GI tract somewhat!

Good luck - I hope it turns out to be nothing! What meds are you currently on?

Congrats on graduating! - Amy

Thanks for being so welcoming everyone! It's great to know this community is made up of such great people. My stomach hasn't felt much better, but it hasn't gotten worse. I'm calling up the GI first thing in the morning and trying to get in asap. The only thing that sucks is that my doc is always booked like a month out. I guess I'll have to see someone else in his office. Better than nothing I suppose.

ameslouise

Crohny - Your doc should NOT make you wait a month for an appt if you are having issues that could potentially be a flare. Assert yourself and ask for a call back from the doc or nurse to explain what's going on. It's not like you are a new patient or just coming in for a check up.

My doc can ALWAYS squeeze me in right away - if it's urgent enough, they will make time to see you, even if it means putting off one of their "check up" patients.

Good luck - Amy

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
I agree with Amy. If you are feeling sick, you shouldn't have to wait. My GI doctor is pretty busy, but he does find time to squeeze me in. I hope you call back, sweetie.

We'll see...

I spoke with my nurse who in turn spoke with my doc. He thinks that I may be having a flare or at least at the beginning of one. He prescribed prednisone for two weeks and I have an appointment set with him at the end of the prescription. I was hesitant to follow his orders but I decided I'd rather not let this go any further. Hopefully things get back to normal within these next two weeks. We'll see...