• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Help pancreatitis

To make a long story short I recently turned 21 years old and have had crohns disease since age 14. I only have symptoms in the morning usually go anywhere from 1-4 times but never have to go in the afternoon or evening. Anyways I have been on remicade for about 6 years as well as asacol and iron. I have a very athletic build and am very active. Recently I turned 21 and am in college, I do not drink too excessively but enjoy having a couple drinks with friends on the weekends. A few weeks ago I had a bachelor party on a saturday, I drank a little bit but was not very drunk at all. The next morning I woke up feeling fine, went about business as usual and ate Chinese food for dinner. The next day I woke up with terrible pain and went to the hospital where I had to stay for three days. I was diagnosed with acute pancreatitis the doctors said that they were unsure what caused the attack. One doctor told me I can never drink again, where the other doctor told me I could in moderation. I am 21 and am feeling very depressed thinking I can never drink again; to make matters worse I have plans to go to Vegas in August. I was wondering if anyone could offer me any advice or personal experiences.

ameslouise

Hi Ajames and welcome!

So sorry to hear about your pancreatitis. Have you seen your regular GI doc about it, or do you deal with an endocrinologist (sp?)? I know you're 21 and drinking is a major part of your life at that age (trust me, been there). But right now you need to focus on getting better. And if that means laying off the booze for a while, then so be it. Ya got your whole life ahead of you, as long as you take care of yourself now.

Is there any chance your other meds contributed to the pancreatitis?

I always say, stay away from Chinese food - it'll kill ya!

Hang in there - hope you start feeling better soon!

- Amy

I currently take asacol, remicade(6-8 weeks) and an iron supplement. The doctor said he didnt believe any medication was responsible for the attack they were unsure on what caused it. Thank you for the support :)

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi ajames! I agree with, Amy. You may have to lay off the drinking for a little bit until you feel well. However, I don't think you have to cut it out entirely; I understand how drinking and college goes hand in hand. But you obviously do need to dial it back a bit for now. But I would not really ever drink in excess even if you are in complete remission. Better safe than sorry!

AJames. I wouldn't really listen to the doctor. I was on asacol for a few months then I personally developed pancreantitis from it. I stopped the medication and it was gone within two days. The pain and swelling stopped. Asacol has been linked with before. I would talk to your GI again.

Thanks for the advice yea I would consider myself in remission I am still on asacol but have not been in pain since I arrived in the hospital 20 days ago. And I plan on talking to my GI about switching off of asacol.