• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Being Worked Up for Crohn's

Hey everyone. New to the forum and possibly new to Crohn's.

I'm 22, just graduated from college with a degree in Physiology, and over the past semester I started becoming symptomatic off and on. Sometimes I felt fine, others I felt pretty terrible: bloody stools, fatigue, urgency all that good stuff. I thought it was IBS because it's common in my family, but I couldn't get it under control with simple dietary changes like before.

Over the past few weeks I've been seeing a GI doc and having tests done. Because I'm anemic he seems to think it's some form of IBD. I don't know for sure whether it's Crohn's or Ulcerative Colitis yet.

Being dx'ed with chronic illness is pretty hard for me to hear because at this point, unless my symptoms are simply too much in the near future, I plan on going ahead with starting medical school and becoming a doc like I had always planned.

So far, I think I've been lucky because in reading others' stories it sounds like my symptoms are relatively mild. I very rarely have any pain or cramping, my fatigue at its worst is pretty limited, and I haven't even started treatment. I've got my fingers crossed that no matter what is going on with me it's easily manageable.

Great community and like reading everyone's experiences.

Sorry to hear about your difficulties. They're pretty familiar sounding to a lot of us here.

Once you get a good diagnosis, your GI doc should be able to get you on a good treatment plan, and I feel confident you'll do great in medical school. Crohn's didn't keep me from getting my Ph.D. My oldest daughter just finished her second year in med school even though she suffers from terrible migraines. She takes beta blockers and apparently is able to cope. Modern medicine is pretty amazing. Be a part of it!

Welcome to the forum. Best of luck to you from down here in Dallas.

Will

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Andy and welcome! I am glad your symptoms are pretty managable. Being that the case, I am sure you will respond well to treatment.

And though Crohn's or UC can make life a bit more challenging, it doesn't mean you need to stop your plans! You should certainly still pursue medical school. I wish you luck with your health and studies! Once again, welcome to the forum!

ameslouise

Hi Andy and Welcome!

Ditto above - CD and UC can be successfully managed so that you can live a normal life!

Generally you don't get bloody stools with IBS so it is likely that you have some form of IBD.

Good luck finding a quick DX and a treatment plan that gets things under control and allows you to pursue your dreams!

Rachel Remen is an author who wrote a book called "Kitchen Table Wisdom." It's kind of like a Chicken Soup for the Soul book. She has had Crohn's since she was young and a lot of her stories talk about how it was growing up and going thru med school and becoming a doctor with Crohn's. It's a good, inspiring book and easy to read:

http://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Table-Wisdom-10th-Anniversary/dp/1594482098

-Amy

Thank you all for the kind, encouraging words. I will still be a doctor; I'm pretty determined in that regard. And I will definitely read that book. Thanks for the suggestion!