• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My story

Hey everyone, nice 2 meet u all, im victoria, im 25 and have been officially disgnosed with crohns since late 2008, took nearly 3 years 2 disgnose, which was very unfortunate for me. My symptoms began with chronic diarrohea and stomach pain or cramps, took me ages to pluck up the courage 2 go 2 the doctors. I had a small bowel series and a colonoscopy done which didnt show anything and it was a white cell scan which diagnosed it. Started pentasa and was fine until january 2010

From january till may I had 2 flare ups which went relatively untreated cause my gp wasnt sure what 2 do. July 2010 I had a bad flare up and was treated with steroids, iv antibiotics, increased pentasa etc. Still felt really bad and was starting to lose weight.

Seen my gastro consultant 2 weeks after being let out of hospital (not the one i was usually treated in) and he was not happy at all, i wasnt allowed home from clinic, i spent 9 weeks in hospital after that, a nitemare which i thought i wasnt gonna come through. Heres what happened:

August 26th: laparoscopic ileocaecal resection, showed perforated retroperitoneal absess. treated iv antibiotics.
Proceeded 2 have great pain in abdomen, abdomial distension, bloods showed signs of bad infection, insertion of drain, which began draining faecal contents, ended up with peritonitis that could have killed me

September: Needed emergency laparotomy, bowel washout and ileostomy, i had no preparation for this and i was devastated. Ended up in ICU cause of problems with infection.

Extreme infection, was on just about all antibiotics they could give me. I felt very bad, i thought i was dying.

Removed my staples and my laparotomy wound fell apart, opened all the way along, required VAC dressings and i endured some of the worst pain id felt, this wound then took 4 months 2 heal. I had lost 11kilos by this stage and i was fed NG for 8 weeks, was not pleasant at all.

March 2011: consultant thought i was ready for reversal of my ileostomy so i went ahead and had it reversed, he said that everything looked good.

6 and a half weeks after this surgery and i still have diarrohea and stomach cramps, waiting on consultant 2 decide what 2 do next, im back on pentasa for now and hes talking of azathioprine next. I sort of just wish my nitemare would end.

N e way i probably wrote 2 much but thats my story :)

David

Co-Founder
Welcome Victoria, it's great to have you here. Three years to diagnose?! WOW! I'm sorry you had to go through such a journey. You poor thing :( *hugs*

I pray that your next consult will finally have some answers for you. In the mean time, we're here for you any time you need us.

Wow, Victoria, you've been through the wringer for over a year, haven't you? Nine weeks is a LONG stay in hospital with a lot of complications.

I hope your consultants can figure out what's going on and what your next treatment plan is going to be. Have you taken prednisone to try to get some of your symptoms under control, or has it just been Pentasa? Azathioprine takes a while to get working (my GI told me that it could take up to six months), but here's hoping that it works fairly quickly for you.

Welcome to the forum. You'll find a huge lot of information here and tons of support.

Take good care,

Kismet

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Victoria and welcome! I am so sorry you haven't gotten any relief from your recent procedures. I hope your doctor comes up with a new and effective action plan, so you can start feeling better! Keep us posted!

Thanks for the replies, kismet ive tried prednisolone before as well, to me it had absolutely no effect on my symptoms whatsoever, its gave me really bad palpitations and kept me awake most nites, to the point where i looked like i hadnt slept in weeks, it wasnt a favourite of mine, but if my dr recommends trying again i will certainly give it a shot, n e thing 2 help. At this stage im willing 2 try the azathioprine, i thought that after the surgeries i had that things would settle, i havent been back to work in ten months and feel that my lifes on hold until i can b symptom free enough 2 go back 2 work. Working in an ICU doesnt help sometimes 2 as it can be very stressful and extremely demanding at times, but what can I say I love my job and want to get back as soon as possible. Being a nurse definitely has its advantages and disadvantages when uve something like crohns, i was petrified cause i knew i was so ill, but at the same time glad I understood what was going on. Hope my consultant sorts me out tomorrow and I will keep u posted :)

Unfortunately I got admitted yesterday I have an infection and inflammatory markers r raised. My stoma wound has broke down and they think that's where it's coming from. Getting iv antibiotics. Facing a few days in hospital, my consultant thinks my crohns may be active again despite my bowel looking healthy 7 weeks ago. Plans 2 do scope under ga in next fee weeks with plan 2 start azathioprone and infliximab if things r bad. Feeling just a tad frustrated after all that's happened already.

Victoria

You poor thing! Hope you get some relief soon. Get plenty of rest while you are in hospital.

Take care and keep us posted on how you are doing, this forum is a great place to get loads of great advice.

Treena