• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello Everyone

Hey everybody. My name is Barry, and I was just diagnosed with Crohn's in January. It all started last November, when I started suffering from pretty bad stomach cramps. Went to the doctor about it eventually and was told I probably had IBS. Long story short, it kept getting worse, and in the end of January I was admitted to the ER with a huge abdominal abscess. Luckily, things calmed down a bit with antibiotics and prednisone, but the disease had already done too much damage, and I'm going in for a resection at the end of this month. Its definitely been a challenge dealing with this disease on top of normal college stress, All-in-all I've been managing pretty well, but it definitely becomes overwhelming at times. Well, thanks for reading.

-Barry

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
Hang in there . . . I know the first section of time after you are diagnosed is the absolute worst, not only physically because that's why you go to the DR. but mentally as there are tons of scary thoughts racing through the mind, almost like your life is pre-flashing through your mind. Hang in there, we are here for you.

Kev

Hi and welcome to the forum Barry.. Hey, my last op was a resection, and it was the easiest op I've had. And the recovery was less than 7 weeks, and it was the 'best' time ever. If an old fart like me can breeze thru it, a young fellow like you should have no problems. Just tossin that in in case the thought of the op was overwhelming you.. Anyway, good luck and best wishes. Let us know how it goes

The resection was not bad for me. I was a little peeved that I was sporting a catheter when I woke up. They gave me an epidural and I guess that is part of the option package.

It is hard to walk a block and a half after surgery to go have a smoke in the parking lot. They tried hard to keep me in the building but I was in a room with a hospital expert of a Chronie and he showed me how to escape.

If you get good drugs and an epidural it is no worse than a lousy vacation.

It is really not bad Barry, I felt better immediately after the surgery. I hope it goes well for you.

D Bergy

Yeah, the docs say i should feel much better after the surgery, and it could stay that way for a long time. In that sense, im actually looking forward to it.