• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Appetite is completely gone now. Where does a person turn?

I was diagnosed with Crohn's just this January (2011). I had been slowly getting worse from last September. Finally had some answers after lower GI, but my appetite is pretty much a ghost to me now. I've spoken to my GI doctor and the FNP that works with my doctor about my appetite being VERY poor. I guess they're more concerned with getting my disease into remission. My physical symptoms from Crohn's are MUCH better now, but like I said, I'm slowly starting to look like a crack head from this ongoing weight loss due to NO appetite. Would appreciate some guidance. Thanks.

I realy don't know if this will help or not. I drink cup a soups... Liquid, easy, not much to think about with them. There are meds out there to help with your appetite. I hope you get better soon. Sorry, wish I could help you more :(

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Hi and welcome to the forum. If you can handle supplement drinks like Ensure or Boost, that might help you keep some weight on. Those usually have something like 250 or 300 calories per bottle. Carnation instant breakfast is similar too so give those drinks a shot and see which one works best for you. Good luck!

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome! I agree with Cat, Ensure and/or Boost is a great way to get some calories. But you really should try to eat, but perhaps stick with a low-res diet of baked chicken, potatoes, and rice. I even add some cream of mushroom/chicken soup to the rice to give it some flavor. It is easy on the tummy and gives you those calories!

LOSTnut

Poopy
Personally, I couldn't handle the Ensure drinks. They were so sweet they made me gag. Most of it went to the dogs! :/
Currently, I drink daily protein shakes that help(ed) me out a lot and they fill you up too. I make more and it has become my breakfast too.

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
I agree with trying some of the supplement drinks. Boost was too thick for me, but I like the flavor of the Carnation breakfast packets. You can mix it with any kind of milk if cow's milk doesn't agree with you. I mix it with soy. I added flavored coffee creamer to mine when I needed to put on some pounds, but it's not a healthy way to do it.
I also agree with the soup, it's pretty easy to get in you, and the sodium always made me feel better.
You just have to find a few things that taste good, then force yourself to eat it even if you don't feel hungry.
For me, it was Wendy's cheeseburgers, and chicken salad sandwiches with mayo.
Hope you start feeling better.
MBH