• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello from Canada

I am 34 years old and I was diagnosed with Crohns in 2006. I was first on Prednisone and it worked good right away and put me in remission within six months of disgnosis.... if only that was the end of my story....

When I went off of it my crohns returned worse, my pancreas shut down in Jan of 2007, then again in Feb 2008 and then again in March 2009 then again in Aug 2010 and again in Oct 2010. My GI claims that this has nothing to do with my crohns. I was on many different pills none of which worked.
In Nov 2009 my joints started to cramp and I felt like I had arthritis in my hips and knees, I was not able to walk properly and I was in the hospital in and out for the whole month.

I was put on Humira in Dec 2009 and I thought my battle was over, I felt great instantly and I could even walk again. I felt great until March or April 2010 when I was put on weekly dosing because it was starting to not work for the full two weeks between injections. Then in hospital in Aug for my pancreas, my GI told me we may have to look at surgery, then again when I was admitted in Oct he said the same - surgery would have to be next. Then in Nov when I went to see him to discuss (after waiting 2 weeks stressing about surgery) he did not recall telling me that and said no surgery needed.
Since I have been on Humira I have gained 70 pounds, I catch every cold or flu that can be caught. This was not prominant at first but since Oct 2010 I have been on antibiotics for one thing or another 8 times... in 7 months. My GI claims that I should wash my hands more because Humira will not cause me to catch colds. I am so very frusterated right now. The only thing that I really feel helps my pain is marijiuana. And my GI (who must get commissions on Humira) tells me if I choose to stop taking the injections that I will be worse than ever.... but he will not elaborate as to what will happen but he won't let me stop without signing a waiver to say I am aware of the consequences.

I am the happiest most positive person, and I work hard everyday to hide that I am in so much pain on the inside. I really pray that one day the doctors will stop using people as guinea pigs and find a real cure.
:) thanks for listening

hello, sorry your not doing good. I'm sorry i can't really give any advice as i'm just learning of this disease myself. I'm from canada too. I just want to welcome you and hope things work out for you.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Tanya and welcome! I am sorry you struggling with so many side effects due to Humira. However, is your Crohn’s under control? If so, I wouldn't recommend stopping treatment completely either. However, if you feel the side effects of Humira outweigh the positives, then it is your right to get a second opinion to find a doctor who is willing to try a different treatment plan that could work better for you.

David

Co-Founder
Hi Tanya,

I'm sorry the Humira isn't working quite as well as it once did and that you've gained weight from it. You poor thing :( Have your doctors talked about switching you to a different drug?

I'm glad you found your way here and hope to see you around the forum.

*hugs* to you!

thank you for the welcome!
Yes I am on a waiting list for a second opinion. It is a slow process though.
:) My crohns is somewhat under control but not all the time. I just started on benefibre to help with the regularity.