• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's and overweight

I have recently had a flare with my Crohn's, so now I am moderate, not mild.
started taking Entocort 2nd day, along with Sulfazine 6 500mg tablets a day. ok the Entocort has helped the flare so far.
My biggest issue is I am overweight, and have been for a few years now. I was skinny all my life.
Why am I overweight along with Crohn's? I have tried all kinds of diets including HCG, but the most I could lose was 16 pounds and starved. I am almost 50, and want to lose about 50 pounds, but if fiber is causing the issue with my flare what to do?
I have been off sugar and bad fats for about 5 years now but to no avail.
I am so frustrated.
Does anyone have the same issue?

And by the way great to have a sounding board of friends!:)

The only thing I can think of and have been reading when it comes to putting on weight with this issue is the drugs like Prednisone. I wonder if you're eating more, less or the same. You do need to cut down the fiber, it seems to make everybody worst. It makes stool softer so it usually leads to more diarrhea. I wonder how long you notice more weight.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi abohann! I don't have this issue, but I wanted to welcome you to the forum. But I agree with Swirl, it could be a side effect of your meds. Weight gain is associated with steriods. Have you been on steriods in the past? It can be difficult to lose the weight even when stopping the treatment.

David

Co-Founder
Greetings abohann and welcome!

I'm sorry to hear you're struggling with weight gain and Crohn's as well, I can understand that being frustrating. There are definitely plenty of people here with Crohn's Disease who also are overweight, so don't feel alone.

Are you at a place health wise where you might be able to start an exercise program? In the end, diet is only a small part of weight control and exercise plays a big part of that overall picture.

Hi,
No this is the first time on any steroids, but I was overweight when I was diagnosed. I have the Apple figure, and wondered if maybe I had something else going on, or if anyone had the same issues, I appreciate all the support and I am glad I have found this forum, thanks to all of you!

Hi there..

sorry you're having a hard time! I've taken sulfasalazine before.. 500mg 4x/day.. and I dont remember all the side effects I had.. but they were not good.. and the prednisone made me gain weight. My Dr took me off of the sulfasalazine and put me on Apriso, it is a mesalamine. If it is an option I would suggest maybe asking your doc about trying that one instead to see if it helps.

best wishes!!