• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newbie - C-Diff to Rectal Colitis

I have suffered chronic sinus infections for 4 years years, requiring repeated use of antibiiotics. I had NO IDEA how dangerous antibiotics could be.

Almost two months ago I was being treated for a sinus infection and placed on Augmentin. Two days into treatment, I lost 10 pounds in three days from D, and tested positive for the C-DIFF bacteria. I was immediately taken off the augmentin and was put on a two week regimen of Vancomycin (Vancocin), after being allergic to metronidazole (Flagyl). Eventually everything started to look somewhat "normal," but not completely.

Concidentally, I already had a colonoscopy scheduled for other digestive issues I was having after compleeting the Vancomycin, and the results came back showing only mild rectal colitis.

Currently, I'm fighting with what I "think" is a flare up of Colitis, but the symptoms are very similar to C-DIFF. Does anyone know how to distinguish between a flare up for Colitis and C-DIFF? And how long can a flare up last if it's Colitis? When should I see a doctor?

I'm afraid to eat anything, and when I do I have to look for the nearest bathroom. I know they say to introduce foods slowly, but how long does it take for foods to move through your system before you know what culprits are making you sick and to remove from your diet?

I have sinus surgery scheduled for June 1 to clean out a chronically infected sinus cavity in my forhead. My doctor seems confident that this will greatly reduce the number of sinus infections I'll have, thus keeping antibiotics out of my system. This is a "revision" surgery, in that I've already been through this once before, but obviously without success.

The good news is, since being diagnosed with this nasty colitis, I've completely eliminated sugar from my diet so the weight is starting to come off.. lol... or is that happening because I'm in the bathroom so often?:yrolleyes:

Thanks for any answers, advice, comments...

I had 2 episodes of c-diff right after the other. Maybe you should get your stool checked again for c-diff. I got mine from the antibiotic clindamyacin which i will never take again, but they are other antibiotics that can casue c-diff. I'm always terrified to take them becasue they say once you get c-diff you have a greater change to getting it then someone who hasn't. When i have to take them, i take probiotics 2 hrs after and eat yogurt. I don't think there is any difference between the c-diff and ibd, but the c-diff that i had was horrible compared to my uc. I was going like 25 to 30 times a day with bloody d and nausea and a horrible gurling in the stomach all day long. I blame this c-diff for my uc, becasue before i never had issues with d before. Hope this helps you.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome! I agree with Matty, a stool sample is a good idea. Also, additional testing wouldn't be a bad idea to be sure nothing else is going on. However, I sure hope the colitis will pass soon and you will feel bad. Good luck with your procedure next month!