• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ulcerative Colitis

Hello everyone :)
My problems began when I was about 30. I wasn't going through anything stressful at the time.
I have been taking Sulfasalazine since being diagnosed.
It took me some years to realise there was a connection between my flare ups and food - a dietary link has NEVER been suggested to me by my consultants and I am beginning to think I know more about it than they do :ylol2:

The main food which sets me off is wholegrain wheat - e.g. Weetabix, shredded wheat, brown bread and any bread with grains in it.

In recent years I've thought back and I'm convinced that my UC was triggered following a knee injury which kept recurring. I was prescribed Brufen (now often called ibuprofen) and I'm sure this is what triggered my attacks. Now if I take NSAIDS they invariably set me off, along with some antibiotics. I have to be really careful when prescribed anything. :eek:

What gets me down the most is the level of joint pain I suffer from. Lower back pain, ankle and knee pain mainly along with lots of joint stiffness. For someone who was very sporty once upon a time, it's been pretty miserable and now I feel like an old woman most days, when I'm only just 50. I often have to resort to using a walking stick if we go out for a day.

When I was pregnant in my mid 30s I had no joint problems whatsoever - someone bottle whatever happens in pregnancy please, because I want some more! The only other relief I get is when prescribed some steriods (usually for a chest infection, but they make my pains go away). :thumright:

It's so nice to be able to research things on the internet and share stories/experiences, compared to the dark ages of the 90's when I was first getting to grips with this disease. :ghug:

I'm going to pop off to the food thread now, as that's how i stumbled across this forum :yoshijumpjoy:

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Lottie and welcome! I am sorry to hear you suffer from such joint pain. I, too, often have back pain. But I am not surprised you had a pain free pregnancy. Many women seem to go into remission while carrying. I am looking forward to this...one day.

Whole grain wheat is a no-no for me, as well, especially shredded wheat. I used to eat that each morning; how I miss it. Definitely check out the Diet and Fitness forum - lots of good info in there for you. Please share what you have learned through the years, too! Once again, welcome to the forum!

David

Co-Founder
Hi Lottie and welcome!

It's interesting how so many state that their pregnancy is a time when they feel GREAT. I hope that there are some researchers out there looking into what's going on.

Just in case you didn't see it, we do have an Ulcerative Colitis forum which you may want to check out.

Again, welcome :) It's great to have you here and I hope to see you around.

Welcome aboard LottieB!!! :) I have Crohn's Disease, and with my Crohn's I get a lot of joint pain, and neck and back pain. I also like to exercise. Usually, after I exercise I feel better, even if I have been having pain all day.

Here is a good suggestion, look into low-impact exercise, you could try swimming or cycling. I think the longer we can be active the better, so I encourage you to do as much research as you can on arthritis and exercise, and what is recommended for people.

Hi Jill, David and Billyjoel - thank you for your comments! :)

David - I spotted the UC forum after I'd posted on here - ooopss!! :blush:
I don't mind if this thread is moved to the right place :tongue:

My docs initially diagnosed me with UC, but of late they always seem to just call it Crohns, which confuses me. :yrolleyes: I once knew someone with Crohns and she was very thin, which I can't say I have ever been, even during times of bad flare ups.
My Dentist also says he can spot people with Crohns and I didn't have whatever he usually spots!

BillyJoel- I used to love swimming until I had a knee op a couple of years ago which made it worse rather than better and I can't really have another OP as I've just had to have an emergency hysterectomy...I daren't have more time off work :eek:

I used to love going to the gym and dancing, but haven't been able to for a while, but I have just got a wii fit and I'm trying the dancing moves with my son and I'm taking it gradually. I did a stretching class not so long ago and found that to be really useful.

Jill - I have also found that Probiotic Actimel seems to help a lot. Since I started those regularly (I decided that a lot of my problems had to stem from a bacterial imbalance in the gut) and cut out the weetabix and shredded wheat, I have managed to keep things under control for the most part. I do occasionally have to have a fix of shredded wheat though, there is a box lurking on top of my kitchen cupboards :D

I think it's the lower back pain which I find most miserable...for a time it all went after my hysterectomy and I was so happy, but it's come back. I reckon they had pumped me full of steriods during the op, which was tricky. I would love to be able to walk for more than 3 minutes without the agonising pain kicking in. The usual painkillers don't help at all to be honest.

:cheerss: everyone! And thanks for the friendly welcome.
I've just had to spend ages changing all my smilies as it didn't let me post external ones :oops: