• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

This is me

Hello every one, i will give you all a quick idea of my story, but i will make it quick as im not one for going on about myself. Also sorry about spelling, not my strong suite.

In april 2003 i came down ill, feeling unwell, pains and needing the loo alot. As the days went on it got worse and worse and soon i was loosing blood each time i went to the loo and very soon had this horriable greenish mucus coming out. Finally in december i had a collonoscapy, i say finally but did not really realise what it would be like. Lots of people said i would go in and be so out of it that before i even realised i would be coming out of seditive in recovery. well it wasnt like this, my seditive did nothing. i kept asking why i was not more out of it and asked a nurse to punch me to knock me out. Although through the pain i did get to see my biopsies being taken! It was after this that i was told i had UC, not a big surprise as my grandad and cousin on my dads side also have it. Anyway i have been going along all these years on different meds/treatments. some months are good some are bad but its always there. Had a sigmoidoscopany and more meds/treatments.

just going along taking my meds minding my own. Untill september 2010 that they decided to give me yet another colonoscapy, which went ok and thank the medication gods i was not awear of as much and pain ok. it was after this that they said i may have crohns. a few years before i had already had a test for this where i had to have a tube passed down in to my small intesting and have xrays taken, not that bad thing really. anyway this showed nothing back then so they decided to look again.

this time i had an MRI scan in january 2011. on tuesday 17th may 2011 finally had my appointment for results, after it being changed twice. have been told that yes infact i have crohns, not a big surprise as my mum has it! I am in the middle of a flare up, so good job had my appointment when i did. I am now taking more pentasa (8 a day) and am on steroids. There was even talk of me going on to AZA but will talk about that in 2 months time at my next appointment.

so this is me and my story. Im hoping now i know i have crohns i may get better results from my medication. Sometimes its good somtimes its bad but not much i can do but just be me.........i do miss not being able to have a hot curry though!
claire xxx

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Claire and welcome! Yes, now that you know you have CD and not UC, you can take the appropriate treatment and start to feel better. So here is hoping you have many more good months than bad and can start eating the foods you love again; maybe not curry, but some other favorites! Good luck!

David

Co-Founder
Greetings and a most sincere welcome to you :) Goodness, you've certainly had quite a journey just being diagnosed. You poor thing. I hope now that they have you diagnosed with Crohn's that they have you on a better treatment plan so you can get into remission ASAP.

Again, welcome, and I hope to see you around :)

*hugs*

THANKS TO DAVID AND JILL FOR THE WELCOME. ITS NICE TO HAVE SOME PLACE TO COME AND KNOW YOUR NOT ALONE AND WHERE YOU CAN TALK ABOUT CERTAIN BODY FUNCTIONS WITHOUT PEOPLE RUNNING AWAY RED FACED. LOOKING FORWARD TO GETTING TO KNOW EVERY ONE AND HAVING SO MUCH SUPPORT SO CLOSE. HAVE TOLD MY MUM ABOUT SITE AND AM TRYING TO GET HER TO JOIN. x:)

Astra

Hiya Claire
and welcome fellow Brit

Good to have you here, loads of friends here for you, and yes it would be great if your Mum came along too!
Re; curries, I don't have a problem with them, I believe that some of the ingredients like turmeric - part of the ginger family, and it's main ingredient curcumin, have anti inflammatory properties. Make your own from scratch and avoid monosodium glutamate (MSG) this gives me the trots!
Lotsa luv
Joan xxx