• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My daughter has IBD

My daughter, Isabelle, is four and was diagnosed in January with Crohn's colitis. Her ONLY symptom was bloody diarrhea (8-12 x/day) and resulting weight loss. She was treated twice for c-diff but finally got a colon and endoscopy. I am told that visually only her large intestine is affected, which would make it UC, but that a biopsy came back positive for a granuloma, making it Crohn's.

I was also told that she is refractory, or steroid dependent. She reacted well to Orapred but became symptomatic after one week of weaning. She was hospitalized for bowel rest and IV steroids and worsened. I took her home and began supplementing with fish oil and VSL#3 probiotics and put her on a low fat/fiber/residue diet with no dairy/chocolate/carbonation/caffeine and she was literally better the next day. We gave the diet 4 weeks after weaning from Orapred and slowly reintroduced foods.

She has just had all of the restrictions lifted and is flaring.

I am glad to find a forum and hope to learn from others who have been/are going through this!

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi izzi's mom and welcome! I am so sorry about your little one. It must be very difficult to see her suffering. Have the doctors prescribed any maintenance medication? With a combination of diet, supplements, VSL#3, AND maintenance treatment, perhaps your daughter will remain in remission.

Be sure to check out the Parents of Kids with IBD subforum - lots of good information in there!

David

Co-Founder
Greetings and welcome :) Ugh, I'm so sorry to hear you're beautiful little girl is having to go through something like this :( And I'm sorry that you and your family are as well. *sigh*

Just in case, here's a link to the Parent's of Kids forum Jill mentioned. There's lots of amazing parent's in there.

See you around :)

*hugs*

ameslouise

Hi Izzi's Mom!

Welcome to the forum, you have come to the right place for support and advice.

So sorry to hear about your daughter's dx. What is the long term treatment plan for her?

Good luck - I hope you can find some relief for her soon.

- Amy

Hi izzi's mom and welcome! I am so sorry about your little one. It must be very difficult to see her suffering. Have the doctors prescribed any maintenance medication? With a combination of diet, supplements, VSL#3, AND maintenance treatment, perhaps your daughter will remain in remission.

Be sure to check out the Parents of Kids with IBD subforum - lots of good information in there!
Yes, she is on Pentasa, plus I supplement her with fish oil, a multivitamin, and probiotics. :) I've already been over to the parents forum...:)