• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Headache

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum. I have a 16 year old daughter that was diagnosed with Crohn's disease when she was 7. She has a headache almost dailey. I have spoken to her Gastroenterologist and taken her to a Neurologist and nothing seems to help. Her Gastro doc. say's the medication she is on would not cause these headache's/migraines. Her medication's are Immurane and Lialda.

Does anyone else experience these headache's on a daily basis? Sometimes they are all day long and sometimes they come in spurt's through out the day.

Any help would be appreciated!

Welcome...I was diagnosed when I was 16 yrs old and headaches are something I use to deal with daily. Unfortunately that is one of the symptoms of Crohn's. I take medicine daily for my headaches bc I get migraines pretty reguraly. I wish I knew of something to help her.

Astra

Hiya Big Red
and welcome

I'm not on those meds but I get daily headaches too.
Some suggestions are feverfew, this is a supplement. Dehydration makes my headaches worse, so plenty of water, up to 2 litres a day or 8 full glasses, spread out during the day. Also small meals throughout the day helps me, if I don't eat regularly my headaches are worse, I'm better at grazing rather than 3 big meals.
I also take Amitriptyline 25mg, this is an anti depressant but works as a nerve blocker, and is good for headaches, neuralgia, joint pain and jaw aches caused by teeth grinding.
read about feverfew here, but caution, speak to your doc first, it could interfere with gastro meds.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feverfew

Good luck to you both
Joan xxx

Welcome...I was diagnosed when I was 16 yrs old and headaches are something I use to deal with daily. Unfortunately that is one of the symptoms of Crohn's. I take medicine daily for my headaches bc I get migraines pretty reguraly. I wish I knew of something to help her.
Would you mind telling me what med's you take for your headache. Her doc advises us NOT to give her Ibuprophen bc of bleeding. Thank you

We have tried the Amitriptyline, however, it made her to sleepy during the day. As far as eating small meals during the day it is difficult because she is in school all day. I will certainly review the feverfew. Thank you

Astra

Hiya big red

Yeah Amitriptyline certainly knocks me out at bed time and I feel quite sedated in the morning, but this soon passes.
Your daughter mustn't take NSAIDS, Ibuprofen, Diclofenic or Advil
I take co codamol, it's paracetamol and codeine, I believe it's called Tylenol3 over there?
I also use 4Head, don't know if you have it over there? Or ask about something similar.
http://www.4headaches.co.uk/
This works too, especially if you're in school and can't get to take any meds.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome! I take Lialda, and I don't have any issues with headaches.

However, my healthy husband gets regular headaches. We think it is due to his allergies and issues with his sinuses. Needless to say, your daughter's headaches may not be related to her Crohn's or meds. I sure hope her doctors can pin down the case soon, so it can be addressed.

I get a lot of headaches too - and I hace noticed that since I my intital dx my headaches are now behind my ears more. I blame those headaches on my meds for sure. Most days I try to just deal with them, but if they get back I take a half of vicodin and can still function fine. Might be too much for a teenager to do regularly??? 3 regular acetaminphine (tylenol) can help me too. And as previously stated, watching water and regular meals/snacks. So sensitive to many things.

Good luck to her.

I have daily headaches as well. My neurologist prescribed me with Amitriptyline a few years ago before I was diagnosed with Crohns. I had a B12 deficiency. I still have the headaches and stuff so they gave me another medicine called Neurotin. I don't think it helps much, but I'm going to give it a little longer before I say for sure.

Amitriptyline does knock me out, so I take it a few hours before bed. When I first started it, I slept for a week and when I wasn't sleeping, I was shoving food down my throat. Once your body gets used to it, it gets easier to deal with the stuff. I now have no problem staying awake during the day. I still eat a lot, though.

Hope she feels better!