• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

No Pain?

B

bk1579

Hello, as I have stated before, I'm very new to this IBD stuff, but as I'm still not exactly diagnosed yet (still waiting for bloodwork to come back) there is one big question I have. As I read all of these posts, I see that most everyone has some sort of pain. Seems to be pretty significant. I don't really have much pain, just some mild cramping occasionally and gas, but nothing terrible. The main symptom I have is blood and mucus in my stool. The dr. swears I have either UC or CD. Maybe I just was ahead of the game before my intestines got too inflamed??? So I guess, if I do have IBD, then it gets worse??? How did everyone else feel as they were first having symptoms of the disease? Some days I go to the bathroom more than others (mainly in the a.m.) , but hardly ever diarhea (can't ever spell that word). Not that I'm looking foward to things getting worse, but I feel as everyone else here has worse symptoms than me. I'm really confused!! I can only think of one time ( a few weeks ago) that I had some major stomach cramping. Felt as if I had a gas bubble the size of a car in my stomach. Lasted about an hour or so, then was gone.

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
I have no pain on a daily basis. IF I eat badly and get something kind of hung up, I have just a twinge in my side, but no pain. I did have pain, really bad pain, the day they diagnosed me and the feeling of a cramp in my side for that first flare-up, but overall no pain. Fatigue sometimes, yes, but no pain. It's an odd illness, everyone is different and there is no typical symptoms. I usually don't even have to hit the r.r. more than maybe 2-3 times a day, either. I have had lots of people tell me I look too healthy to have a chronic illness. I can always show the pictures the surgeon took when he was poking around in there. THEY are not pretty!

B

bk1579

Yea, the pictures I saw from the colonoscopy were disgusting...Looked like some kind of fungus growing in there...Actually the first thing I had done was the sigmoidoscopy, and was very alert and aware what was going on...I was like "eww, what is that?" I couldn't help but laugh at myself...I didn't expect to see something like that in my intestines...Oh well, Glad to hear you don't have pain...I really can tell the difference when I eat crappy food...I try to eat somewhat healthy, but I'm still learning things that I can and can't tolerate...Thanks for the response Cara Fusinato!! Have a good day

I have even fewer symptoms than you do. That is what made it so hard to diagnose. I do not even have blood in my stool and pain on the rare occasions I have it is not much. That is why it is so important to have the colonoscopy and lab tests to verify it. My doctor says it is not common to have so few symptoms but he has seen it before.

I do not think it has to get worse. Mine was likely the cumulation of 45 years worth of Crohns coming to a head. At least, that is what I am hoping for.

D Bergy

R

ReeRee

Hi

I'm on the other end of the spectrum as you are, and I really don't want to scare you to death either. I have the most severe form of CD and the pain I have is worse than childbirth. I had pain like that daily for 6 years before I was ever dx'd at age 20 (I'm 40 now...ack) If there's a complication to be had, I will get it..lol. I'm in a 'remission' period right now, but even now I'll get the horrible pain if I get stressed out, get too tired, get too hot, go out in the sun, laugh too long, or eat a no-no food.

On the other hand, my mom has CD too and has never had to stay in the hospital for anything, never had the severe pain that I have, and doesn't even have to take meds. She has the crampy pain and bloody trots only if she eats something she knows is going to make her sick, which has we all know, we all do from time to time..haha.

Every case of CD is different, like all of us are different. So don't let it freak you out when you read others' symptoms. Just cause it happens to some of us, doesn't mean you have to worry about it happening to you.

Hope I made ya feel a little better.

"Auntie" Ree