• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Story

Hi all, I'm very new to this. Was diagnosed with IBD in January but they still don't know if its Crohns or UC. Have been on low fibre diet since Jan and am very nervous about trying any veg etc as when I did my stomach was killing me. I have a lot of backache all the time normally in my lower back. Was wondering does any members suffer from back ache. I feel it is relate to my disease. So tired all the time, is this normal?

Martina

I have really bad back-pain as well and am constantly tired, though I think it's due to my medicines. I've read about others with the back pain as well, so I think it's part of the disease.

Are they planning on getting you a colonoscopy? That would tell whether it was Crohn's or colitis. As for the veggies, they had me on a low-residue diet as well and when I got out, the first thing I wanted was a salad. I normally just put cheese and lettuce and french dressing on it, so I don't know if it was the lettuce or the dressing, but it hurt. I would just be careful. Some say that peeled or cooked veggies are better than fresh ones on their stomach.

Hi Tana, thanks for your reply. I had a colonoscopy done when I was in hos back after Christmas but they couldn't tell from that if it was CD or UC. I have to go for more tests now - a barium follow though (which sounds like fun!) and other scans too. Hopefully they will know then. Some people have told me I should try a wheat free diet but the Doctors say that there is not evidence that wheat effects IBD.

Martina

I've been wheat free simply because my mum and my sister are allergic to gluton. They tested me for it, but since I haven't eaten it they couldn't find any allergy to that. I've been eating eating gluton and it doesn't seem to make a difference on me. I would try it to see regardless of what the docs say.

Good luck with your tests!