• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ativan

Oops I just Google info and it says not to take more then you should bc its addictive. I'm suppose to take 3 a day but sometime I take 6 or more. Anyone had problems with this or am I playing with fire?

Can I ask, is it for anxiety? THe reason I am being nosy is that if it's for anxiety, you might need more of a stabilizing med such as clonazepam. You can still take ativan on top of that for any rogue panic attacks that pop up but the clonazepam just keeps you at an even keel so that you won't have so much anxiety. Ativan is more of a fast acting calm you down quick and wear off kinda quick type of drug.
If it's not for anxiety, ignore everything I just said lol.

I was on Ativan in 2008-2009 but mine was for anxiety. I was on alot more than that b/c I had been thru so much. In my case, my body became immune to it so it wasn't working like it should have been. You should probably talk to your dr., maybe they can give you something else to help.

Yes it is for anxiety..nrn got mine today I will let you know what else its used for...It just says:Common uses: This medicine is a benzodiazeprineused to relieve anxietyand cause drowsiness before certain types of medical procedures. It may also be used to be treated other conditions determined by your doctor. You are just geting addictive to them where it takes more to help you. I would deff talk to your doc about it though...hope i helped in some way

Nyx

Ativan is highly addictive. I was given it when I was in the hospital getting my stoma...it was to help me sleep. I was only given 2 a day and wasn't allowed any more than that because of it's addictive properties. Talk to your doctor about it and definitely don't take more than you've been prescribed to take. If it's for anxiety and you're not getting relief with the dose you've been administered, you may need to be on another drug. Never up your dosage without consulting a doctor first.

I got prescribed it for pain because my doctor thinks my ibs/ibd like symtoms are my nerves and diet... my pain doent go away with one pill but when i take two I go to bed...

theOcean

Could you consult with your doctor about it? Like everyone else is saying, it's addictive and you need to be careful with it.

I would also recommend asking about clonazepam. I take that to help me sleep, and it also really calms me down.

nogutsnoglory

Ativan did nothing for me. It's highly addictive. I wouldn't go beyond what your dr prescribed. If you feel it's not enough call your psychiatrist to discuss.

Lorazepam is a highly addictive drug with horrific withdrawal symptoms so stop as soon as you feel able.

I feel for you, there's few worse things the a doctor telling you it's all in your head. Stay strong!

I would advise to not take more than the prescribed dose. Ativan can be very addictive, and your body can become dependent on it. I found that it was not too helpful for me personally, and if you have been taking so much I would guess the same for you. Perhaphs it might be a good idea to chat with your doc about changing meds or getting a different strength dosage for Ativan.

My doctor precribed ativan to me for pain been taking it for a couple days now and it doesnt help with pain it helps my mood a bit but not the pain. but after taking it for a bit i cant help but feel like its eating my soul lol. I think im going to stop taking it. My doctor really thinks its my nerves but i took like 6 of those pills two days ago and it didnt help my pain. The only reason im so destrot is because ive been sick for so long with no answer. Its not causing it lol

I don't find Ativan to be addictive at all, I always have it on hand for bad anxiety/panic attacks however I take maybe one 0.5 mg or 1 mg pill per month sometimes less. I find it works wonders when I have a panic attack, which is quite rare now since I've been seeing a psychologist.

theOcean

If you're just taking one a month: no, they wouldn't be addictive. But benzodiazepines are misused as streetdrugs frequently, and if people build up tolerances and take more than they should they can be highly dangerous.

Example: Clonazepam at 4mg can put you to sleep but is also likely to make you stop breathing, and you could die. I did this without knowing and shocked my psychiatrist. I build up tolerances so quickly to medications so benzodiazepines aren't for me.

Last edited:
If you're just taking one a month: no, they wouldn't be addictive. But benzodiazepines are misused as streetdrugs frequently, and if people build up tolerances and take more than they should they can be highly dangerous.

Example: Clorazepam at 4mg can put you to sleep but is also likely to make you stop breathing, and you could die. I did this without knowing and shocked my psychiatrist. I build up tolerances so quickly to medications so benzodiazepines aren't for me.
Oh definitely, but I'll be honest here I've done pretty much all street drugs except for heroin, meth and crack cocaine.. never once got addicted to any of them. But I do agree with you about Clonazapam, my Aunt gave me 3mg when I had a panic attack with her and I passed out, luckily I woke up the next day fine. I don't use benzos often either, it's a rescue medication for me per say in the sense that if the panic attack is severe I'm not going to ride it out for 3 hours.

I agree I wouldn't take more than prescribed. Ativan can be very addictive. I do take the odd Valium but only 10 every two months. If you take more than you are prescribed you may well find your GP refuses to prescribe any more.