• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New here, need help, diagnosis 4/09

I was diagnosed and April of 09. With mild Crohn's, but for the last 3-4 days I've been running to the bathroom every 15 minutes. I have 4 kids, ages are, 18 daughter, 17 son, 10 son and a 2 yr old daughter. I'm so wrapped up in my potty breaks that I don't feel like good enough mom and more. I am starting to get depressed and stressed out!
On top of all this I got a father under my care cuz he got Alzheimers disease, so he can be a joy at times too... My daughter is graduating and I'm so scared that Imma miss it cuz of my Crohns... I'm super frusterated now cuz I was always running to the bathroom every 15 minutes, I was going once every morning, and now the crohns seems like it did a 180 on me. I am sick with many other things. I have a brain tumor, scaliosis, rotating ribs, nerve damage from the Cimzia I was on and more...
I am scared, what does this all mean? Does it mean Crohns got worse? Been taking my meds regularly, Pentasa, 1,000mgs 4 times a day and I have no results. My belly hurts really bad, on top of this I got my period... OMG someone help me please!!!

ameslouise

Hi Jean Marie and welcome!

Take a deep breath. We're here for you, and we've been there!

If you haven't already contacted your GI about this most current situation, phone him/her straight away on Monday. If you are indeed in a flare, you need to get something right away to get it under control and as least minimize the pain and bathroom trips. It's likely this will be prednisone, starting at 40 mg then tapering down. In the meantime, you and your doc can dicuss a revised treatment plan based on what's going on and what drugs you have tried in the past, etc.

Don't let the nurse make you wait to get an appt -tell them you need to get in right away!

Sounds like you are under a lot of pressure with a lot going on between your kids and your dad. Can your older kids help you out a bit until you start to feel better? Make sure you get plenty of rest -easier said than done, right?!?! But if you're little one is still napping, maybe you can steal an hour of sleep at the same time. It will help your body heal.

Good luck -hang in there!

- amy

David

Co-Founder
Goodness, you poor thing :( I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. Amy's advice above is fantastic and I hope you follow it.

And don't forget, we're here for you anytime. We'll see you around!

Good luck and *hugs*

Man. I feel for you.

When I read posts like these, I just wish I lived closer to the poster, so I could give them a hand..

ANYWAY. Take a breath. Don't be depressed. (kinda a null statement, but try).

Some people find that they suddenly get D months or years after developing Crohn's. I'd be great if someone figured out why haha.

Pentasa is kinda like... I don't want to say USELESS, but... It's like putting salt on dog feces... It may make it taste a little better, but it's still gonna suck if you're forced to eat it.

Like Amy said, call your GI. If he doesn't stick you on Pred, he might put you on entocort. Either way, it's important to see him/her. If you're in pain, try taking some acetaminophen with codein. In canada, you can get T1's w/o prescription (not sure about the states). It'll get rid of the pain, and likely constipate you. Might help with the D.

Hang in there. The school year is almost out. Things'll get alot less complicated when you don't have three in school.

Good luck!

Terriernut

Oh my word Jeanmarie! You have way too much on your plate, no wonder you are soo stressed. Which isn't helping your crohns! Ames is absolutely spot on...get yourself to the GI right away so they can get this under control. Dont take no for an answer!

You and your health should be your number one priority at this time. If you can get some help to look after your Dad for awhile (been a carer to my MIL with Alzheimers...it's incredibly difficult) get some help from your kids as much as possible, and get on the mend.

It probably will be pred you will be given, and hopefully it'll do the trick for you. Hoping to hear that you feel alot better very soon!

Misty