• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New Kid on the Block!

Hi Everyone! My name is Chanel and I am a new member here on the forum. I have been on the forum quite a few times but I'm just getting around to becoming a new member and posting about myself. There is so much about this disease that is way beyond my control and so much to grasp so I appreciate that there is a support group at my fingertips because I definitely need support =)

About myself: I was a happy, healthy 27 year old female with everything going for me- great career, great friends and fam, very active in professional Tahitian dancing traveling all over competing, and going back to school to pursue a masters in nursing. I was so happy and even though I never thought of myself as invincible, I never saw myself ever getting sick either.

In late August of last year, I was in a very minor car accident. My coworker and I just got off of work from what was a pretty lousy day and decided we would go get a glass of wine to try to end this day on a high note. We work at a hospital in SF and she was parked right out front. If you know anything about San Francisco- drivers can be impatient and scary! My coworker pulled out of her paralleled parking space and settled into the right lane. There was a prius that was waiting for our parking space and an impatient work van behind the prius. The van decided to do an illegal lane change to go around the prius and when getting back into the original lane, he hit us from the side. I had my seatbelt on and my head was turned to the left. On impact I hit the seatbelt pretty hard and was in a little shock about what happened. We went back into the hospital to get checked out and they put me in a sling and told me to take the week off to rest and check in with my PCP.

The recovery process was hell. It took a toll on my body in ways I really didn't imagine. I had severe whiplash, swelling, shooting pain and tingling in my right arm, hand, and fingers. Physical therapy didn't do so much for me so I branched out (against physical therapy's advice) and started with an amazing chiropractor and that's what really put me towards a successful road to recovery. Unfortunately I noticed that the accident had taken toll on my body in other ways- tarry black stools, fatigue, night sweats, rashes on my legs (kinda like petechiae), bloating, constipation and diarrhea almost after every meal and definitely every morning, and abdominal cramping that just kept getting worse. My PCP was convinced that it was in my head and that I was a healthy 27 year old and I'd get over it. It got to the point where I thought I was crying wolf so I stopped complaining to my doctor about it.

In late March the cramping got worse and on April 1st it got to the point where I couldn't take it anymore so I went to the ER and they gave me pain meds (thank God for dalaudid!) I knew the pain was bad when morphine wasn't cutting it and they gave me dalaudid for the second time in order to feel its effects. After blood work and CT scans, the doctors were convinced that I had intussusseption (my intestines were telescoping into eachother) and needed to have an emergency surgery to cut out the diseased portion of my small intestine. The most I had ever broken was a nail so I was scared shizzless! (literally!) 30 minutes before the surgery was scheduled to happen, it was canceled and the doctors decided to treat my inflammation medicinally. So they pumped me full of steroids and pain meds, reviewed my case and 2 days later diagnosed me with Crohn's disease.

After talking with my GI guys, all of the symptoms were there but they were just missed by my PCP. So we got our plan of action together and hoped for the best. I went home on 2000mg of Pentasa daily, and 60mg of prednisone to be tapered slowly after a few weeks. I was home on disability and the week that I went back to work I started to feel the effects of the taper. I went into another flare with exhaustion and diarrhea, fever, etc. My bloodwork confirmed that I was in a flare and a week later, the cramping and diarrhea had become worse to the point I was hospitalized again. So in the span of a month and a half, I was hospitalized twice. Prednisone had gotten to a point where it had done more harm then good on the taper and now I would be starting remicade.

While I was in the hospital the doctors told me that the car accident was most likely the trigger for my Crohn's disease. The stress on my immune system could not keep my crohn's at bay. I asked if I could get this on paper so that I can add this to my insurance claim from the car accident but he wasn't ready to put it on paper because there isn't enough published research to back it. So if anyone has seen any research regarding car accidents triggering crohn's disease I would really appreciate you sharing it with me!

Last week I had a ct scan which showed that my intestines were not inflamed. My doc said mentioned the R word (remission) and I was ecstatic. But this past week after seeing him again i told him that I didn't feel I was completely in remission because I still felt pretty sick and lousy. Im not where I used to be but i'm definitely not where I ought to be. So now at a month shy of 28, while everyone else is getting married, moving, and finishing degrees, my focus is staying alive, getting my health in check and trying to find out as much about this disease as possible and really listening to my body. I'm on prednisone and remicade and they took me off of Pentasa. I had to drop my classes and have decided to take a year off to take it easy. Hopefully I will be on a steady road to recovery very soon.

Thank you for letting me vent! I'm usually the person to keep it all in and be there for everyone else. So having this disease is forcing me to ask for help and to say no to being there for everyone else. It is forcing me to put my health first. Thank you for hearing me out!

Last edited:
Welcome Loraine. I'm learning that this is definitely a good place to come to. I'm sorry for all you are going through and hope that your treatment will soon be effective. Meanwhile, keep coming back, the folks here are really great.
Judy

Thank you so much for yout kind words and welcoming Judy. Im so happy to have found a community that knows exactly how I feel, what im going through and can offer great advice. Thank you again!

Welcome. I found that an event can trigger the disease to set in. I happened to be in a drug trial to help earn a little extra money when the disease really set in(even though before that I hd symptoms that would come and go) I'm also new but in my expirience it's good to figure out your triggers...mine is stress. Good luck

hey chanel, I'm new here, I'm reg. member Of healing well forum, but your accident got me, I'm going thru same thing, I finally went into my remission, and 10 days later, I was rear ended while parked on freeway in safety gore pullout, and before I was at complete stop WHAM! woman hit me at 65mph, yea I have whiplash, but my cd went totally nuts, I went from just taking asacol and very little pain med when needed, to imuran oxy's for pain, up from 5/500 vicodin. that is the main crux of lawsuit, the impact and trauma put me in huge flare, I contacted lawyer and going thru PT and accupuncture hoping to get my just rewards. have you hired lawyer?

artist guy or AG

David

Co-Founder
Hi Chanel and welcome :) I'm so sorry you've been through so much! Various things:

1. Be careful with the CT scans. It sounds like you've had a few recently. They are very high radiation; I'm thinking long term here for you. The doctors love them, but unless it's an emergency, you may want to enquire about procedures that cause less radiation.

2. When you say you still feel sick, what are your symptoms?

3. Have you changed your diet at all?

4. Are you on any supplements?

5. After your car accident, did you take any pain killers?

All my best to you!

Thank you so much David and Artistguy for your inquiries! I am so happy to say that I am in a great place with my health right now and have been for the past month :thumleft:

AG: I did get a lawyer at the urging of my chiropractor. I met with her the week before I was diagnosed with Crohn's. I was told in the hospital by the GI team that my accident and all the meds I was on triggered my crohn's. So I did a lot of research and even changed my GI doctor because he was very research based and worked strictly with IBD. I got letters from my primary care physician (at the time) and my new GI doctor saying that I was totally healthy before my accident and that the accident triggered my flare. They outlined all the meds, appointments, treatments, hospitalizations etc. and urged the guilty party to take responsibility for compensating me for the money I put into my treatments, etc. It has been quite the process but we hope to have the case closed out within the next month.

David: I was on painkillers after the accident- ibuprofen, vicoprofen, and vicodin around the clock- that was the cocktail that messed me up! Right now, I'm on VSL3, fish oils and melaleuca vitamins. I have remicade infusions every 4 weeks but we are tapering down to 6 soon. I'm also on entocort and pentasa. I have been juicing as a supplement for the last couple of months and I feel great :). I am done with the CT scans, my new doctor said absolutely no more bc of the radiation of course. All in all, I really feel that the entocort and remicade, as well as the juicing have been doing a great job of making me feel normal again. I feel like I have control of my life again! And it's a great feeling to not be in any pain. Diarrhea and tummy troubles are few and far between now. I am really hoping to stay on this path!

Best of luck to you AG. Maybe you can try going to a chiropractor in addition to an acupuncturist. That combination helped me get to a good place and in my personal situation did so much more then physical therapy did.

David

Co-Founder
I kinda wondered if it was a concoction of pain killers that caused it. Bummer :(

I'm glad you're feeling great, please keep us updated and I'll see you around the forum :)

Hi Chanel,:welcome:

I have crohns as well. I hope you are really doing better, and I am glad you found this forum.

chanel, I can tell you the worst thing to do is chiro. go to physycal therapist, in court chiro's mean nothing for monetary fallue. it's accupunture today or PT, I'm not closing mine until I get off drugs that I'm on now that I wasn't on before accident, but my lawyer said, PT, or accupunture is what the court will really value, I didn't want any chiro messing with me, I had preexisting compression fracture on my neck from 1990, so all I could have were pressure points, that has helped, but twisting or realigning is BS.

David

Co-Founder
I've personally had a lot of success with chiropractors. I think it's like all professions, there's really good ones, and really bad ones. About 6 months ago my left scapula area had been killing me for about a week. I had one twisting and realigning session and by the next day, the pain was gone. For some afflictions it no doubt would do nothing, for others, done properly, it can be highly beneficial.

No, what I was saying, if you look at it as and ins. co. for accidents, rear ender's are the highest in all of accidents. so when they go to settle they view chiro's as 1 to 1 meaning what you spent on a chiro, they times it by 1. when you go to physical therapist or accupuncturist, they will times it by up to 8. so I'm not saying they haven't done you any good, what i'm saying, is that when you go to settle your claim, physical therapists are worth more in court for your award than chiro's.

Last edited: