• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Please help me understand

My daughter was diagonised a year ago with crohn's, she has been hospitalized many times over the last year. She is so sick and in so much pain that the doctors have decided to remove part of her intestines and colon tomorrow to remove the absesses . I need to explain to her 8 year old daughter what her mom is going through, and than what kind of life she can lead therafter. Do you lead "normal" lives after having this type of surgery?

Yes, you can definitely lead a normal life after surgery! I haven't had a flare-up for almost a year since I had my ileum resected. My life is more normal now than it has ever been. I hope the surgery helps your daughter!

-Karissa

Absolutely you can lead a normal life after as Karissa said.

Crohn's can be tough, as your daughter is experiencing now, but Crohn's is very much treatable and very much a manageable disease. It won't take long on these forums to notice that people here do extraordinary things with Crohn's much less lead a normal life.

Welcome to the forums and best of luck with your daughter and grandaughter.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi dcamper and welcome! Many people on the forum say surgery was the best thing to have happened to them and remained in remission for many years after.

But remember, it is important to keep taking a maintenance medication to have a better chance at reducing future flares.

I wish your daughter luck and I hope she has a speedy recovery!

ameslouise

Hi Camper and welcome!

I am sure your granddaughter has already seen her mom struggling with her disease and is anxious for her mom to feel better. Explain to her that it is going to take a couple months for her mom to recover from the surgery, but after that, it is likely that she will feel better for a long time!

Good luck to your daughter - hope the surgery goes well!

- Amy

Like everyone else has said, you can live a normal life. I know from personal experience. Even with my children, my mother had to explain to my oldest who was 6 at the time. It was very hard on bc he wanted me home so badly. But things eventually got back to normal.
Good luck to your daughter on her surgery, I'll say a prayer for yall.