• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My journey

I was diagnosed with Crohns disease at the age of 16 (1981). I've read alot of the blogs about pain meds because that is what my original question was. I was curious if anyone else had sufferd as I did with addiction.

I had a had many surgeries and more hospitalizations. My first hospital stay was 2 months and I came out of the hospital addicted to demerol. I had no idea what it even was. I just knew they gave me a shot every 4 hours. I know that any of you out there with Crohns know the pain involved!!

As the years passed I had troubles with feeling inferior and ugly and damaged. Now as I look back I was this beautiful teenage girl that had a very traumatic experience.

My Drinking escalated at the age of 17 even though it hurt my stomach and the drugs got worse. I have been on codeine, darvon, morphine, vicodine, oxicotine and then I found dilladid. I was in severe pain at times but the pain would subside and the pull of the narcotics was aweful. I have been in and out of rehab over 10 times. I am celebrating 4 years sober in September and have turned my life around.

I sometimes wonder which has been harder the Crohns or the addictions???? But I keep my head held high and I raise money and volunteer for both diseases. I also keep a sese of humor and thank God everyday for what I do have.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome! First off, congratulations on your 4 years of being sober! But I am sorry to hear you have been through so much with both Crohn's & addiction. I have Crohn's, and I can see how someone with this disease can turn to drugs and/or alcohol to ease the mental and physically pain. But I am so glad you turned your life around. How is your Crohn's as of late?

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Yes congratulations! I've had some issues with alcohol in the past as well. You're not alone there! You also aren't alone when it come to addiction to pain meds with Crohn's. In the Treatment section of the forum there's a sticky about pain medication addiction found here: http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=1146 Check it out!

Welcome to the forum! :D

The Crohns is good I am currently on no meds for the crohns what os Lialda and Hyoscyamine and thank you for welcoming me:)

Astra

Hiya and welcome
and congratulations on your sobriety!
I was addicted to sleeping pills years ago, so I know what it's like. Even now I can't face life without my Amitriptyline, so I'm probably addicted to them now! I go cold when I start to run out of them.
Well done and hope you find comfort here with us
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Lialda is in a class of medications called anti-inflammatory agents. It works by stopping the body from producing a certain substance that may cause pain or inflammation. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000880/

Hyoscyamine is used to control symptoms associated with disorders of the gastrointestinal (GI) tract. It works by decreasing the motion of the stomach and intestines and the secretion of stomach fluids, including acid. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000811/

Why no meds for Crohn's Lifesagas?

Thank you for sharing your story, its always good to hear that people are doing good enough that they don't need meds...congratulations on being sober!

Congratulations on fighting that demon and also thanks for sharing parts of your very personal life. That is one of the main reasons I was drawn here, most people don't hold back and in doing so actually advise and console others. I wish you the best.