• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Another new soul on the forum

K

Kitten

Hi, I'm new to this forum and thought I'd introduce myself briefly.

I was diagnosed when I was 16, managed to finish school but haven't been able to do any work/education since. I'm 21 now and actually doing okay at the moment, taking Entocort and Imuran, but the last few years were pretty rough from time to time.

Perspective is a fascinating thing, and CD as any other disease adds another level to it. While I'm overjoyed to be able to leave the apartment and not experiencing heaps of pain, my doc clicks his tongue over my poor state. So I start comparing myself to "normal" people with actual lives, then take a look at this forum and read about all you guys who are in much more trouble than me... and my mind goes yo-yo on me all over again. Although the disease makes us take perspective to extremes sometimes, which no one should really have to do.

A very good thing, this place! It's nice to have somewhere to discuss the whole yummy concept of CD, knowing people won't run away horrified. Thanks!

Welcome to this forum. CD is a very hard disease to live with as you know and this is such a great place for people like us to get together. I hope you feel better.

Just stopping by to say hello and welcome!!

Make yourself at home and enjoy the forums.
Any questions feel free to ask away...
someone is always close by.

All the best,
Nancy

S

Spring Sun

Welcome! I feel the same way, it is all very relative. I might be in a ton of pain but then realize it is nothing compared to what my sister went through, and then I think, well, it is much worse than a normal person. I guess the best thing I do is try to stay grateful. Grateful it is not worse, grateful that I can still have a life, that there are meds to control it, that they are studying it and will find a cure soon...But it is still okay to be sad about it. Especially at 21, there is a lot going on for you and a lot you might not be able to do, but at least you are young enough that they will find a cure while you are still young, and you won't have too much damage to your intestines...Just my two cents:)

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Welcome Kitten!

I also felt like you did. When I was in my worst health for a few months before surgery, I found joy in many things. I did not worry about what was normal, as I still saw what I had compared to many other people. I was fortunate to have a supportive family who helped me throughout my ordeal, so that alone is a lot more than many people can say.

I would not let other people's opinion totally affect how you feel or your desires. The two extremes of relying totally on others and not listening to other people at all are also not right. We can not rely totally on others as no one knows ourselves as well as we do. We also need to appreciate that we can not see things as clearly always as an outsider to our situations can, so we should be open to their comments also. I think it is just a matter of finding the right balance that allows us to remain happy with ourselves and our situation. There is nothing wrong with wanting a different situation than we may currently be going through, but it is important to look at what is realistic and of course be grateful for what we do have. I find that nothing can make a person happier with what they have then to remember what some other people have and to be grateful.