• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Parent

parent

Hi, my son was diagnosed with crohns disease last year, it come as a shock to both myself and my partner as nobody in either of our familys have it. he was quite poorly and had to go on a liquid diet for 6 weeks which wasnt very nice for him. he has been on pentasa slow release tablets since being diagnosed, one 500mg three times a day.he is doing really well at present and gaining weight but it is always a worry when your child has a condition which you know can be controlled but not be cured.:(

Hi huni. I can imagine what it's like for you right now. Little Zach has given me a run for the money with his digestive issues before(turned 1 month old, blood in his stool, turned two years old he'd fall randomly on the floor holding his stomache in tears, having bad digusting diarreah...like it was LIQUID) turns out he's highly allergic to milk protiens, but ever since I've been diagnosed with crohns it's always a thought at the back of my mind...maybe he really had crohns or UC and we've just been avoiding it this whole time...

As for your little one, they're finding more and more that children or people no longer have a genetic link. It's more likely to happen if there there is a family history but there are several out there which they are the first to have it in there family(like me...lucky huh?) My best advice is to get on him about taking his pills no matter what. Get on him about it and keep an eye for certain things. High fevers with stomache cramps should get a phone call to his doctor, fevers higher than 103 or fevers lating more than 2 or 3 days should go to the ER. I wish you luck, many kiddos have dealt with this and have made it through. There are several parents on here so if you ever need help or support they can help you out.

Hi huni!

I just wanted to welcome you to the forum. :) Don't forget to check out the Parents of Kids with IBD sub-forum located in the Support Forum. You can find plenty of other parents and caretakers who have children with IBD. It's a great resource to find others who know exactly what you are going through :)

One of the most important things for someone with Crohn's is to have a great support system. Your child is lucky enough to have a parent who cares enough to seek out their own support system so they can take better care of their child and be more knowledgeable. So congrats! :)

Glad to hear he is responding well to his medications and is improving!

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Hi huni, your story is mine!! It is very hard to accept but we must and we must do the best we can for them!! EJ's the first and only chronie in my or my wife's families also. Good luck! Hope to see you in the parent's section!! What's your little man's name?

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi huni and :welcome:

I'm so sorry you had to find your way here...:( But this is a fab place for support and info, there's loads of friendly and knowledgeable folk here!

It's fab to know your little guy is responding so well to treatment, YAY! May it last a lifetime hun.

As Marisa and Dex said, pop on over to the parent's forum and have a browse around and if you have any questions just fire away. Feel free to ask in whatever forum you think it best fits. You are not alone huni in the way you are feeling and the worries you have, we understand...:hug:

I look forward to seeing you around. Good luck and welcome aboard!

Take care, :)
Dusty. xxx

Crohn's Mom

Hi Huni :)

I just want to say welcome to the forum and we hope to see you around in the Parent's section too !
I'm glad to hear your son is doing so well at the moment, and hope it lasts a long long time! :eek:

hugs,
~T~