• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi. I'm Tina from the UK and I was diagnosed with Crohns in 1982 - long before these forums were about (erm before home computers probably lol). I've recently realised there are others 'out there' and I want to join in with discussions. I have a colostomy dating back to 1988 and have had surgery a few times (cant remember how many exactly but the surgeon suggested a zip on my belly would save time!). I'm well most of the time and have an active and interesting life but there are still bad days occasionally. Doctors don't seem to know much about Crohns even now. I'm having problems with my feet and I wondered if it was related to the Crohns. The soft tissue on the top is 'traumatised' (hospital diagnosis) why - I have no idea - but it makes walking painful. I had this problem last year and it lasted 8 months. It went away and now it's back again. All suggestions gratefully recieved. Hope to enter into discussions with you all in the future. Oh by the way - i'm 54 now.

David

Co-Founder
Hi Tina and welcome! I'm glad you were able to find your way here. :)

Traumatized feet, huh? I've never heard of that one before, of course, I'm no doctor. Sorry I can't be of help with that, but hopefully someone else can be.

Anyway, I'm glad you're here and hope to see you around. I wish you all the best!

Hello Tina and welcome to the Crohn's Forum! :)

I'm sorry I haven't heard about traumatized feet
but perhaps someone here has!

We're glad you joined and I hope we find you
some answers to your questions.

Welcoming hugs~Nancy

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi Tina! Welcome to the forum! :D

I had to look up traumatized foot as I've never seen it mentioned on this site or anywhere else. Seems like the trauma comes from many things like a blow to the foot, being stepped on, too tight shoes, being overweight, impact from running (or not wearing proper running shoes), high heels, tying shoes too tight, basically an outside force which directly impacts the foot or forces the foot in an unnatural position.

Here's some of the info I found:

"Nerve Entrapment: When any of the nerves on top of foot becomes traumatized due to any external pressure like the pressure due to tight shoes, it is entrapped into a bony projection underneath it. The nerve becomes inflamed leading to either pain or numbness. When a sensory nerve is damaged, burning top of foot pain can be experienced." http://www.buzzle.com/articles/top-of-foot-pain.html

"Trauma is a result of forces outside of the body either directly impacting the body or forcing the body into a position where a single or combination of forces result in damage to the structures of the body." http://www.medicinenet.com/foot_pain/article.htm

thanx all

Hi All
Thanks for the swift replies. Yes Crabby - on both occasions I have had a blow to the foot but instead of getting better it just gets worse and I wondered if the extreme inflammation could be a side effect of Crohns. It certianly pops up in the weirdest places when you least expect it. I had itchy blotches all over my legs once during a flare up and the consultant said that was part of the Crohns so I just wondered if this was too.
Nice to meet you all x

Terriernut

Like your name! Yes crohnies dont heal as well as others they say. So a blow to your foot could cause more damage to you, or any sufferer of an autoimmune disorder. So I was told by my GI and Dr when wondering why I wasnt back on my feet in one week after surgery and got infections! (mind you they told me whether I was on immunosuppresants or not, I would heal slower)

I suggest you kick the person who stepped on you in the wee wee!! :ywow:
(I'm kidding...unless someone actually DID step on you!)

Misty

ameslouise

Hi Tina and welcome!

Glad to hear you have been able to enjoy a nice life inspite of your numerous surgeries and occassional Crohn's issues.

I hope the foot thing turns out to be non-Crohns related and that it clears up soon!

What meds are you on? Just curious!

- Amy