• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My story...

Hello i was recently diagnosed with crown's disease so i decided to join this great forum and talk with people who know exactly what i am going through.

My story starts about 5 years ago.Until then i was very healthy but suddenly one day all hell broke loose.I had fever,i was vomiting,diarrhea,tachycardia and mainly i was feeling very tired.I went to the hospital and after a blood test only,they send me home.They told me that i have irritable bowel syndrome caused by stress..During this 5 years i went to several doctors and they all had the same diagnosis,but i knew that something is wrong with me so i kept trying.

Long story short after an upper gi,3 colonscopies,a surgery and 1 pillcam i was finally diagnosed.It might sound wierd,but after all this suffering,it was kind of a relief.I am starting treatment with azathioprine in a few days and i would appreciate any information for possible sideffects.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english(its not my first language) :D

Hi chris

Welcome - I'm a newbie to the forum too but have had crohns for 12 yrs now. Im glad you have your diagnoses now, sometimes its the hardest part. Ive been on azathioprine and have had good results, you will find that everyone is different with their experience of crohns and there treatment results. With the azathioprine, you will need to have weekly blood tests to check your liver function as it can be toxic. Once your system has adjusted you can drop blood tests to fortnightly then monthly but your doctor can advise you on this. I myself had no side effects from the Aza and remember it can take up to three months for the meds to be fully effective so hang in there.

xx

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi Chris and welcome tot he forum! :D There are many people on the forum who also had a hard time getting a diagnosis and some who are still undiagnosed so you're not alone in feeling or wanting relief after a diagnosis.

I haven't taken Azathioprine/Imuran/Azasan myself but there is a section on the forum for people who have taken it so feel free to check out the threads by others and make one of your own if you can't find the answers you seek. http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Chris and welcome! I can understand why you kind of feel relieved to get your diagnosis. At least now you know what is going on with your body and you can address it.

I have no experience with azathioprine, but check out the Treatment forum. I am sure you'll find lots of good information in there such as the following thread:

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=16986&highlight

Hi Chris

Welcome :)

I have taken azathioprine for several years, although I'm not currently taking it. I had no side effects at all, so my experience with azathioprine was a good one :) The drug very quickly got my disease under control when I was first diagnosed. Hopefully it will do that for you too :)

Wishing you well :)

Paula
x

ameslouise

Hi Chris and welcome!

It is common to feel a sense of relief after getting a diagnosis - at least now you know what you are dealing with! Good luck with the Aza - I hope it works well and you start feeling better very soon!

- Amy